1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm gay but my parents are really religious

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BroadwayLover, Feb 28, 2016.

1. BroadwayLover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents are super religious and go to church every Sunday and for the past year I've felt like I was gay but I'm not sure. I don't want to be gay and possibly lose my parents. Please help!

2. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dude, I can understand you. I live with Catholics too and I'm really openly bisexual.

OK here's my advice: wait until you're sure if you're gay or not. Then decide if you wanna come out to your parents or not.

I'm writing this from the perspective of an athiest and I don't know if you subscribe to their religion or not but that could make a difference.

Tell me if that was at all helpful (or at all comprehensible)

3. MMALiLi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my super conservative parents. It's been rough but they still love me. They try to show their love. We still have our arguments, but they are less judgmental than before.

And if you think you might be gay, I'd go with what David said and be sure before you come out. There are any number of sexual orientations that you many be, like pansexual or bisexual.

And then if you're sure, consider your financial situation and if you're ready for the worst possible scenario of your parents rejecting you. That's what I had to do in order to mentally prepare to come out to my parents. I was preparing to move out if their reaction wasn't something I could live with.

I hope this helps.

4. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's a good point, didn't think of that

5. rina

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    a lot of good advice were given here i wanna add just that if your parents are religious and not fanatic try to explain them that their believing in God its the first reason why they should admit you as God tells us to love all people as ourselves.and that if God created you as a gay is ok.because God is a genius and he never do or create bad thing.say to them that if you're a gay its only because God wants that and the reason he created you as a gay is that you will be able to pass the way you should to pass in your life.

6. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Broadway, I can't give advice that's better than what been suggested, but good luck.(*hug*)

7. Rain is Love

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Religious =\= Homophobic

My mom is religious but her best friends are gay
    My dad is not religious but extremely homophobic

Test the waters by asking about perspectives, if you watch T.V. as a family, when you watch shows like law and order or whatever (shows with homosexuals and transgenders) that would be a time to ask about the point of view they have. Do this a few times if they are okay with it. They will start to catch on if they are reasonable and you bring it up ofte, that would be a good time to tell them.

Unfortunately, my dad is too homophobic and transphobic to bother bring it up until it's in his face. My mom will accept anything I do as long as I'm financially stable and safe, I will let her know if I get in a meaningful relationship with a man.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People can be religious without being homophobic and intolerant, in fact, some people of faith see it as a fundamental obligation to show kindness and compassion towards people who might otherwise be "cast out" by wider society. Many Christians, like me, believe it to be wrong to judge others; for in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself.

A lot will depend on your parents religious denomination and how strictly they adhere to the teachings of their church. For example, members of the Anglican/Episcopal Church and Unitarians are generally warm and tolerant and even some people from the Catholic tradition are ready to embrace people from the LGBT community.

I would urge the OP to follow the advice in this thread and maintain hope if his parents are from a fairly liberal and inclusive denomination.

9. BroadwayLover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you to everyone that commented, I've come to the conclusion...I am gay, I'm going to try to come out to my best friend sometime soon. Any suggestions on how to tell her?

10. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to my best friend with a note. I just handed him the note and ran off lol

11. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could always text or call her if you have her phone number. That's how I came out to my best friend.

You could also write her a letter if you know her address.