1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aisuru Musica, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Aisuru Musica

So I've recently figured out I'm trans and would like to come out to everyone at school, I'm just not sure how. My close friends know as well as the councillor but I'm not sure how the other teachers would react. I'm not particularly worried about the other students because I've gotten pretty good at ignoring people I don't like. Any advice for this? Thanks!

2. demigodjay

I don't have great advice, as that's something I haven't done yet, but when summer comes I believe I will come out through social media. I will tell as many friends as possible and then post something stating who I am, what it means, and basically what I would like to have happen. I'm also going to answer all questions that arise. This could be a method I know a lot of people do, others actually arrange an assembly with staff permission that they will tell the whole school.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just posted a really similar thread because I didn't see this one! Well my troubles are with the students so I can attempt to give you advice about teachers. It's good you have your couselor in the know because they can be very helpful. If you talk to them they can send out emails to your teachers telling them your situation and asking to change your name on their register/to use different pronouns etc. if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. If you feel that you can talk to your teachers then either drop them an email explaining or talk to them after class and ask for them to refer to you differently. I mean, that's all you need from them. Honestly though, having the counselor do it for you could put you at an advantage because teachers are more likely to take note if it comes from another member of staff.

I would suggest thinking about it a little more if you've not come out to your parents though. It can be a bit awkward telling school before parents because if they then contact your parents about it/word gets around that's not the best way to come out to them. Just keep that in mind.

4. Aisuru Musica

Hey, thanks for your responses. Sorry I couldn't get to them sooner, haven't had access to my computer for a while. demigodjay it's ok that you don't have that much advice. I don't have any social media except for this account but I can tell everyone verbally. Aberrance, I'll definitely think about doing that, it seems like a good plan. I am out to my dad so it won't be that awkward. Again, thanks. Have a good day!