1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaaah, my head hurts...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Roxas101, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ummm, well this is awkward....

I guess i'll start this story at the beginning and then ask some questions at the end...

My name is Kaleb (this is a lie, but you can call me this anyways), and i'm a closet gay. I live with my mum and my stepfather (i count him as my father, he has been such for the majority of my life). My real father is a transsexual who lives in Sydney, he's out of the closet and i haven't seen him for about 5 years.

I currently have a crush on my friends younger brother, he's in the year beneath us and i'm FAIRLY sure that he is gay also, this could just be my own feelings though... My friend is an out of the closet gay himself, so i don't really see him having any problems with this, but still... Most of my friends are very accepting of homosexuality, I have at least one gay friend and am friends with several lesbians also, i've always been nothing but supportive of them.

One of my close female friends came out as a lesbian just last week, i remember that she had been very upset and was crying a lot. I made sure i was there for her the whole time, and when she first told us I'd given her a high five. None of my friends seemed to care very much about it, and none of them rejected her because of it.

I want to come out and just tell my friends the truth, i'm pretty sure they would accept me, but the person i'm worried most about is my crush. If he doesn't accept me then i'll be left alone to deal with the whole process... If he does though, i'll be in my own personal paradise. I'm pretty sure i'm strong enough for both alternatives, but it's still driving me insane just thinking about it.

The next biggest problem is my family. My mum is outwardly accepting of gays, but she's had a very traumatising experience with one in her past - namely my father. I know that i am gay but i also know that if i told her it would probably hurt her again. My (step)father i'm not sure about, i don't really like him that much and i don't know how he'd react. My sister (she's a year younger than me) would probably be accepting, we are very close. My youngest sister is too young to know what this all means.

now it's down to the questions...

Should i come out and just tell my family/friends?

Should i tell my crush that i like him?

How should i do this?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated... Thankyou.

2. Wall

Wall Guest

You might not think so right now, but you are very lucky. And welcome to EC! I recognize you as a newer member :slight_smile:

Should you come out: Yes!

Should you tell my crush you like him?: Yes!

How should I do this?: Slowly!

Now for more details: Coming out to friends isnt really something you have to announce. In your position you could just showing up with a boyfriend and they wouldnt really care. You seem to have an awesome bunch of friends....unlike me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: With the mother situation, if you want to come out directly, you have to be a bit careful on how you do this. Yes it will remind her of your father, but that will happen one way or another, so just be gentle about it with her. On your fathers case, I would advise risking it and telling him straight out.

Now onto the matter of your crush, just tell him really. Perhaps pull him aside one day, or just go straight out an ask him out on a date. Not really that good on advice here, I have always been single D: I just havent found that one guy yet ^_^

3. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well... i'm going to the movies this arvo with said crush. Just me. And him.

how much more perfect a situation could i possibly want... *sigh*

4. Wall

Wall Guest

Can we switch lives? I want yours! D:

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Omg your name is Roxas! I love that name. Be back later with supportive advice. I just had to say SOMETHING.

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

First off, though it be a lie, Kaleb is a very sexy name.

And if you're DYING to tell them, then yes. Holding the secret in can be traumatizing. I had done the same thing and I've yet to say I'm gay to anyone I first meet. I am EXTREMELY leery and I usually let them figure it out. I don't run around naked in rainbow spandex or wave the skittle flag either. You're younger than I am though, and you should do it now instead of bottling it up for years. Tell your friends first, if they don't accept you then move on...that's my advice. If they've been supportive of you for the majority of it then they're really your friends but if they ditch you for something like that than it tells you about their personal character.

Try doing something nice for your mom, get her alone, and confess your sin. Thats the best way to do it. (sin being a little exaggerated)

Well thats just my 2 cents. Kthxbye~

Have a wonderful Valentines Day, Roxas. :wink:

BTW, this Banana thing is such a tard. (!)

7. RaRa

Excuse me? I find that a tad bit offensive. I'm no sinner.

As for you, OP, I think you're in great condition to come out. You have a bunch of supportive friends and LGBT friends that you can speak with when you come out, go for it! :slight_smile:

8. Amy

Amy

I agree with RaRa. Who you are is no sin.

EC is always here for you. :slight_smile:

9. TEres321

Okay so im younger than you kaleb. but im going to input my advice regardless, :/
    I think that the best idea would be to (SLOWLY) come out to your friends, one by one, just sort of ease into it. A good idea would be to come out to one of your lesbian friends, ive always found girls to be more accepting of the fact (Not to be stereotyping or anything. no offense intended). as for your family? i would suggest having your friends down before tackling THAT bull. good luck with your crush at the movies though!

TEres321

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Thats the best advice I've heard on this discussion. :slight_smile: Friends first, family last.
    Oh, since you're a guy...I felt I should also mention...Its not always the wisest move to just blurt it out in front of other guys. He's right...at least in my experience. Women are very accepting....men...are not. From one closet gay guy to another.

Oh and the sin thing. I was just saying that from out of my perspective. I was being whimsical and just kidding.

11. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, back!

I'm sure you're all dying to hear about what happened this afternoon with the whole movie thing, so here goes...

I rode over to his (gah, lack of name... let's call him Aaron for simplicity's sake) place and we stayed there for a little while before heading off to catch the bus. One bus trip and much chatting and joking later (nothing too conseqential), we arrived at the movies. We argued briefly over whether or not we should see Transporter 3 or Changeling, we decided with a coin toss though and Transporter 3 it was...

The movie was already starting so we went over and got some drinks and popcorn, i paid for the tickets so he paid for these. We snuck into the movie and found a couple seats near the edge, I love the movie theatre we went too - it has arm rests that can be folded up between the seats :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

anyways, to cut a long story short i probably spent more of the time watching him than the movie... I leant up against him a bit, and he really didn't seem to mind - he seemed to be watching me almost as much, and kept smiling the whole time. He even yawned a few times, stretching his arms out a bit - i almost swear he was debating whether or not to put an arm around me, i wish he had...

after the movie we wandered around a little, but the shops we're closing so we had to call it a day and head home. At the bus station i remembered that i had brought my camera.... hehe... I spent the next couple of minutes taking a heap of photos, mostly of Aaron - he kept hiding and smiling like crazy... gah, he's so cute when he's smiling...

We got on the bus again, and started the trip home... we contined with meaningless chatter, and he kept up with the whole smiling thing, i wanted to just hug him right there, but i'm still too scared... i sat next to him and we took more photos, he got hold of the camera and it was my turn to hide. I'm sooooo un-photogenic.

Anyway, we got to the interchange and had half an hour before the next bus came, so we went to get something to eat. I got popcorn chicken for KFC and he got a burger... on the way back i was literally feeding him popcorn chicken from my hand. :confused: We still had a few minutes til the bus came, so i plucked up my courage and started a game of truth or dare...

I started out with fairly innocent questions/dares and he played right along. In the end i asked him something like "whats ur deepest secret?" and he dodged around the question a bit before giving a rather lame answer. Then he asked me the same question right back. Damn it...

I told him to guess - so he says "You're Gay?" i froze up a bit, then i just bit the bullet and said yes. He didn't seem to react in the slightest, so i asked him truth or dare again, he said truth. I asked him if he was gay. he said, and i quote, "I don't like to think so." Not an outright denial, but not exactly a confession either.... DAMN IT!

The bus arrived then, so we both got on - i was feeling a bit funny - i'd just come out for the first time ever, and he didn't seem to care... Anyways, we rode the bus back home and he hijacked my wallet and started going through it... Still smiling like crazy... I got off the bus, and he said goodbye as if nothing had happened...

I don't know what to think :/ HELP!

Kaleb.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Ugh! I hate it when people do that. Lol I had a similar instance. I wasn't sure if my friend was straight, bi, or gay...so I kept prodding him slowly. In the end though, he was straight. Some guys like being babied and treated special. It drives me crazy not knowing his orientation and I HATE it when they dodge like that too. Point is, just ask. Plain and simple. If you already said yes to your gayness you might as well ask.

My friend I was talking about liked being treated how you treat aaron...though I didnt feed him KFC... o.o; I think that'd be pushing it on my case. But sometimes straight people can act gay. Dont force yourself on him though without getting a 100% answer though. (and I dont mean rape him or anything but make a move)

#12 The Enigma, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
  13. tallship

Hey don't fret, you still have your friend, which is worth a lot believe me, and you may have something more as you say he did not say yes or no perhaps he is unsure ,just take your time and see how it goes. so when's the next "date"? Just try and control your cush for now just in case he does decide to say no he is not gay /bi ,a good friend is still worth their weight in gold.:thumbsup:

14. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    next date? *blushes*

Well, he did say see you monday... though i guess we do have school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, if this helps you guys at all - He's in the year below me and the last couple of days he's been hanging around me and my group. And, not that i notice this (*looks around embarressedly*) he always seems to be looking at me... And he barely even looks at/notices any of my other friends.

Also, whenever he sees me - even if it's an inconvenience, he comes over to talk to me... Once i swear i saw one of his friends pushing him towards me when i walked past them...

Am i over analysing this? I sound like some kind of girl who's completely obssessed with a guy.... except i'm a GUY who's completely obssessed with a guy...

Anyways, more comments/help is VERY WELCOME!

Kaleb (thx 4 the name compliment btw :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, i love this name too...)

15. ArcaneVerse

"I don't like to think so." is not a no at all, it sounds more like hes questioning or hes bi or hell he may even be gay but doesn't like the label. Maybe give him some time and see if he makes a move and if he doesn't then you could always tell him how you feel about him. From what you have already said I don't think hes the type of person to freak out if you did decide to tell him your crushing on him.

16. Ajax

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    like arcaneverse says, the fact that he said he "didn't want to think so" at least means he has thought about it. If he was straight he would probably just say "no" straight away without thinking.

In any event he sounds like he likes hanging out with you. i would say he likes you but is unsure about himself - ie he doesn't know / doesn't want to admit to himself / to you (yet) that he's gay. but that's cool. if you enjoy hanging out, hang out. ask him out on a couple more "dates". if he keeps coming along that tells you something...

good luck, hope it works out!

ps canberra buses suck

17. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol - TELL ME ABOUT IT! I have'nt gotten my P's yet, so i still rely on them for most of my transport...

Anyways - I can still hope... I'll try and keep you peoples updated as it progresses...

Kaleb.

18. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kaleb...I know this sounds really sad...but I was actually on tenterhooks reading your posts. It's like reading a book you cant put down because you want to know what happens next. His response to your question was very open ended and could mean absolutely anything! I certainly wouldn't give up on him but don't push it too much. He knows you're gay (congratulations on coming out to him) so if he feels something towards you then the ball is in his court really. Don't flirt any more or any less than you have been....just act the same as normal.

Oooo...this is quite exciting...please keep us informed on progress.
    xxxx

19. riddlerno1

It does sound like a movie!!! Just be there for this guy and take things slowly. Theres no need to rush things at all. You came out to him and he 'may' do the same to you.

20. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow - you thought THAT was good? that's a very quick rather shoddy piece of non-fiction writing... I write a little bit of fiction as well... which is kinda based on truth. It's on deviantART, is posting a link there in direct contravension of the rules or not?

Kaleb.