1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out only to mom or mom and siblings?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sancre, Mar 3, 2016.

1. sancre

Out Status:
    All but family
    I need to come out to my mother, I'm sure it's the right step to take. I'm not sure if I should involve my brothers or only tell my mom. Any advice? She is really religious, but really loves me, I'm 100% sure it wont be a problem in one week, but she might have a rough initial week dealing with it. My siblings could help. But, she might not feel free to talk about it with them. It could help reduce the drama. My sister already nows, my brother doesn't, but he wont find it difficult at all.

Please share your advice.

Thanks

2. caldwell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have not had the courage to come out to anyone in my life yet, so I am afraid I have no advice for you. :frowning2: I do relate though to your mother being very religious - mine is very religious as well and in my case will at best be very hurt and worried about where I'll spend eternity and at worst, may disown me. It sounds like you have supportive siblings, which may make things easier. You also seem fairly confident in your mother's ability to accept who you are - and that I think is a wonderful thing. I wish I had the experience to tell you the best way to go about things, but I do know there are others on this forum that I am sure will be glad to give you some direction. Perhaps you could try emailing one of the advisers directly? (Not sure exactly how that works since I am new). I wish you nothing but the very best and hope that all goes well for you :slight_smile: