1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by love dont judge, Mar 6, 2016.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to come out to my parents soon so that I can go to prom in a dress this year but I don't know how to go about telling them. I don't want to write a letter yet I can't get the words out. I'm so confused on what to do. I know that they'll accept me I'm just not sure what I can do as to coming out to them. If anyone could help it would be highly appreciated.

#1 love dont judge, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Distant Echo

So mum, dad. The prom this year. When can I go dress shopping?

Use some humour maybe?

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See with such a serious topic personally I wouldn't take the jokey route, theres a chance they'll get angry and more upset than they might if you were sensitive about it.

Personally I told them by writing a letter to each of them separately telling them how I feel (in great detail because then it'll hit home harder for them if they realise how much this is affecting you) and what I'm hoping to happen from now. I know it's difficult as hell to write and think about what to say but its easier writing it all down and just giving a letter that's been proof read 500 times than clamming up when you're trying to speak it.

I gave it to each of them and sat in front of then whilst they read it to guage their reaction. I wouldn't have done it any other way really. It allowed them to ask initial questions and talk to me about things before thinking it over.

I would suggest telling them separately whichever route you choose. Sometimes parents have a habit of taking the same side and ganging up on you if they don't agree with what you're saying. By telling them apart theyre going to have to think it over and take it in themselves. Just tell the person you think will take it best, first. I hope you feel able to come out soon. I didn't go to my prom because I wasn't even out to myself -let alone anyone else- so didn't feel at all comfortable having to dress for it.

#3 Aberrance, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016