1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing It Over The Phone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Truman48, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Truman48

Mmmmmmk so I'm off at college. Need to tell the 'rents, right? Distance creates a few problems.

And my first reaction would lead me to believe this is a bad idea, but would it be a gigantic no-no, if I had both of my parents call me on speakerphone at a time when they are free/comfortable and told them?

I'm just thinking that it would be the most logistically easy.

Is this a terrible idea, or is it actually alright? I am not anticipating any major issues with them...

2. Jesse Jinx

Well it's certainly more personal with a face to face thing, do you know when the next time you'll be coming home is?

If it's not an option, I don't think there's any real problem using the phone. If you might not be comfortable with some of the scilence or not knowing their facial expressions you might want to try a letter. Or, plenty of people use e-mail. It's really how you're most comfortable doing it. Best of luck, keep us posted! (&&&)

3. EM68

Welcome to EC! I came out to my sister a couple of weeks ago over the phone. it went well. If you are ready to come out to them and can not wait until you see them again, than go for it.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think they'll take it well, then phone is fine. It's certainly more personal than e-mail or text. ("OK LIKE SO IM GAY LOL OK BYE")

Lex

5. starfish

I live 500 miles away from my parents so I am facing the same dilemma. I have decided that I am going to tell them on my next visit home. I think telling them in person will better facilitate a conversation on the topic. I don't want it to just be, well the bible says it is a sin and who convinced you to switch teams.

I don't get to see my parents much any more, maybe a couple of times a year. I'm hoping that by being there it will remind them not to let this drive a wedge between us.

So I am expecting a negative reaction and I need to be there to handle it.