1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mum sounded disappointed when i came out. advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fionamc, Mar 10, 2016.

1. fionamc

Hello
    I came out to my best friend, now girlfriend of three months!! and my other friends at school on 26/06 last year. I'll never forget that day because they were so lovely about it. I recently told my mum i was dating a girl and she said "thats fine for now, and if you want to date men later on, thats good too" and hasn't mentioned it since. I know she's lovely and doesn't keen it to sound unaccepting, but i have anxiety so tend to blow things up, and can't help but think that it sounds like she would prefer me to date guys. I am bi so thats entirely possible, but i have a strong preference for girls (probably 4-5 of kinsey) and I'm so happy with my girlfriend, i just don't want my mum to be disappointed with me. What do i ?

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom has had trouble accepting me being gay. She loves me, but always expected me to (stay married to my wife) have kids. She also worries about how I will be treated once in out, but ultimately she will support me. Has your mom meet your girl?

3. fionamc

I think thats what mine expects as well, keeps telling me to get myself a good man when I'm old enough. She has met my girlfriend, she was my best friend for ages before and she hasn't come over to mine since before we started going out. I know she likes her as a person, but telling my mum that she's my girlfriend may have changed her general opinion of things. She banned me from staying over at friends/ them coming to mine for a little bit after coming out cause i was bi...
    i just annoys me a bit

4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I bet. Have you thought about seeing if she can come for family dinner or something?

5. fionamc

yeah, i thought i would ask her round for dinner. I go round to hers all the time and her mums ok with everything, so its probably about time she came round to mine :slight_smile: I know that sometimes, you have to do you. even if thats not what others want, but I'm not good at that
    Thank you by the way. for listening to my, probably pointless, worries and rants.

6. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not pointless at all. :slight_smile: that's what we are for to help each other