1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cutealien, Mar 12, 2016.

1. cutealien

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!
    So I'm agender, but I haven't came out to my mom yet. I'm very afraid, because I think she's ... nonbinaryphobic? Is that even a word? Whatever -
    So one time there was an agender model on tv and this conversation happened:
    My mom: 'That's weird. A woman with a man's voice.'
    Me: 'But they're not a woman.'
    My mom: 'Oh? So he's a man. That explains it.'
    Me: 'No. They're not a man, too. They're androgynous.'
    My mom: 'Ew, what the heck. That's even more weird.'
    Then I was quiet, but the next day she told my step father about what 'strange woman' she saw.
    Now I'm really afraid to come out, what should I do?

(and sorry if I made any mistakes. I'm not a native speaker.)

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Some people are like that, especially if they haven't learned or come into contact with gender topics outside of what's common.
    My mum still says "ew" or cringes when two guys or girls are kissing on the TV, but she's also supportive of me. She's certainly not homophobic or transphobic - she just hasn't thought that deeply about it before, yet she understands that people are people and everyone is different.

Don't gauge what her views are by how she reacts to someone on TV; guage her views by what she tells you or anyone else she's close to. These will be her honest views, and could be positive.

See what her true views are, and then consider coming out.

#2 Connorcode, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016