1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when people ask you to be more specific?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Vav, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

I rarely come out to people. When I do, I'm vague on purpose. People sometimes ask me to be more specific. I often make up bullshit about gender not mattering to me. That's not actually true. That pretty much puts me back into my lying about being bi stage. Does anyone have a better solution?

2. TrueSelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you see as your options? It sounds like you believe you can lie, tell the truth, or be vague (which you feel is a lie, so that goes back to lie or tell the truth). I think the first step is to make sure you know what's true for you, then you can decide what to share or not share. And if some part of your truth is that you don't know, then "I don't know" is a perfectly fine answer. Perhaps that's an answer that is vague but that you feel is not a lie?

It really is OK not to know :slight_smile:

3. Vav

Vav Guest

I'd rather not be open about not knowing. For me that's the worst thing. People take me less seriously and girls don't want to date me. What I've been thinking of saying is a joke answer. Maybe I can say I'm attracted to girls and gay guys.

4. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not say the truth?

5. Vav

Vav Guest

I don't want people to know how confused I am.

6. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would just be honest and own it. If you're not being honest, you're lying, and I don't think there is really any solution that includes a lie.

Say, "I'm not straight" with conviction, and if they ask what you mean by that, just tell them you're still figuring that part out. As long as you're truthful and confident when you say you're not straight, you shouldn't have to worry about them thinking you're unsure if you're gay or straight.

Plus, it isn't any of their business in the first place.

And as for dating girls, again, you just need to make it clear that you are 100% sure that you have the capacity to be into them. IF you own it and believe in it, others will too.

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it is entirely, 100% up to you what you share and with who. in truth it is only the business of who you want to share with and none of theirs. so there is no lie only the truth you want to share for your safety and comfort.

hope this helps. (*hug*)