1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming outish

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by caiteee, Mar 14, 2016.

1. caiteee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Its my first year at uni (leaving home and such) and I promised myself that I would be open about being gay because the way I figured, if I was just open about it from the beginning it wouldn't be such a big deal because people would just know me as gay and they would never have known me as anything else. What I didn't think about was how nervous I would be (which was very) with my catholic family and school its never been really okay to be gay and when you live in that environment the constant fear of people finding out is hard to kick (and yeah anyway that was just a lil bit of irrelevant back story for yal.)
    So I have been doing what I promised and if it comes up then I tell people, just casual as like it's no big deal and I was talking about kissing girls with my friend on our floor when in walks another guy on our floor. He came in and said "I hope your joking, that's disgusting" and it was really akward and then me and cici and him talked about it and it was really weird because I was actually really offended cause he compared it to having sex with animals and all these other weird analogies (like a dog shitting and stuff) and kept saying it was gross and weird and then I started using the word making out (which I use interchangeably with kissing) and he was so disgusted cause all the stuff he was saying before was literally just about to same sex people pecking on the lips and then when he found out that I had made out (not even anything else) he was so so horrified and was like "Oh God, I've never met someone like you before" like I was another species or something. and now I feel so uncomfortable and since we live on the same floor I keep bmping into him which is really akward and I just feel constantly anxious now and I hate it and I don't really know how to make it better. so yeah that's my little spiel for the day haha.
    Also it was just really disappointing because I was actually feeling so good cause everyone I had told before that was so chill about it and it was so different from back home and I was starting to feel like its actually okay and then he just reminded me of all the reasons I hate myself and am so fucking scared to come out.

2. demigodjay

Don't let one person constitute whether you are comfortable with yourself or not. It will hurt, yes, and you will want to fight back, but usually it's a battle not worth having. You said that the community is mainly Christian, but not all Christians are anti-LGBT+ and not all anti-LGBT+ are Christians. If this has been your only confrontation, I wouldn't get too worried. It's something that some people aren't okay with (not that they can do anything about it) but most don't come up and speak their mind about it. If they were okay with you before you came out just tell them you're the same person but they just know a little more about you.