1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as asexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seth smith, Mar 19, 2016.

1. seth smith

seth smith Guest

For some reason I find coming out as asexual difficult because I see no reason in just telling people oh btw I'm asexual. I want to let my friends and family know but it's weird to just blatantly tell them out of no where I'm ace. I am open about and if comes up I say I'm ace. It is also difficult for me to say my sexuality it frightens me.I want to be able to be confident in who I am. I find it scary to come out.

2. Lee15

You don't have to let them know if you find it scary, you don't owe anyone that information, it's a personal thing. But if you do really want to come out, maybe do it on facebook or something so you don't have to actually say it, if that's what frightens you? Alternatively, if it's the whole coming out situation that you find weird, you could try telling a few close family members or friends and have them tell others?

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,

I share your sentiment that just blurting it out is rather unnatural at best and awkward at worst. Don't worry too much about going about telling people, trust me, people will come and ask you one way or another that gives you a perfect opportunity to tell them naturally. For example:

- when people ask if you have a girl friend and ask you why not
    - if people observe you don't have a girl friend for a long time they often ask if you are gay
    - if someone starts talking about sexy women and ask you to comment you can comment that you are not into that stuff really because you are an asexual
    - someone comments how horny they are you could ask them how does it feel as you are not familiar with the feeling

Do mind that people are likely to ask you follow up questions and may vocally or silently question your "orientation" by assuming either that you are shy or gay or both. They might ask "how do you know", "do you masturbate" and other a little silly questions but there is no reason to be offended. Mostly people are just curious. There is no compulsion to answer every single question and you can tell them politely you decline to answer.

Some people also question your "orientation" by assuming the first thing that you might have hormonal or some other imbalance that messes up your system or that you suffer from trauma etc. Don't take offense from this as this is a fair point. I have identified since puberty as asexual and only recently have started to suspect that maybe I'm not after all. I grew up in dysfunctional family and as a result have persistent low level depression which could affect sexual needs so sometimes we mistaken the asexuality as symptoms to asexuality as orientation although these two things are different.