1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MayaBee, Mar 20, 2016.

1. MayaBee

So, I feel like they know a little bit already since I talk about LGBT+ alot recently and my dad told me a few times yet that he would be 100% okay with being gay. So I think they have a feeling about this.
    I don't expect them to react negative.
    When I told my friends and they asked about telling my parents I always said I wouldnt mind telling them but I dont feel any pressure to do that yet, but since I can be so open about myself in school and since I have to lie about who I meet (when I go on a date with a girl) I slowly start to feel like telling my family. I just love being so open about myself, that I want to be that at home too. But you know, I just dont know if I should tell them. I know I probably just should do it but... i just dont know yet. If they would ask me, I would tell them about what I identify as, but I dont know if I want to go up to them and tell them, maybe that is because everybody I told said I didnt have to make such a big deal out of it, but at the same time I also dont wanna just say in by the way. Any advice?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're with a girlfriend, I'd suggest a month but however long you feel is right, then you could bring her home and invite her for dinner. You could ask your parents "Would I be alright to bring my girlfriend home [insert date]?'' Since you're 15 and I'm assuming it's your parents who are making the meal or plans for anything else going on, asking isn't a bad idea, in case anything else is happening on that date and would have to cancel. I think if it's done that way, and they already accept, then they'd probably just check the calendar and say yes or no, and if no maybe ask them to suggest a better date. If it's your first girlfriend (that they know of) they might make a little bit of a deal about it, you know, say ''you're all grown up'' and similar, but that wouldn't be about the gender of the person you're dating.

3. TicTacsAndCoke

No one can make the decision of coming out for you. It's your own personal decision. Come out when you're ready. If that's tomorrow or never, well, that's your own personal readiness. And whenever you decide to come out, that time is okay. :slight_smile: