1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to therapist right now

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silverdeer, Mar 20, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am coming out to my therapist right now over texts and she has been very nice and said she supports me and that it can be hard to accept it and tell others.

Update 1: She said we could tell my mom together in one of our sessions and I asked if a letter is a good idea.
    Update 2: Offering to help write letter to my mom

I was so worried she would hate me or something

#1 silverdeer, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Aww! Yay for her supporting you! She's awesome. :grin:

3. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The thing im worried about is talking to her in person from now on because I know she knows but I am sure that will go away soon.

#3 silverdeer, Mar 20, 2016
  4. If she's been kind and sweet to you, and has offered help to come out to your mum, I wouldn't worry about talking to her in person. I'm pretty sure she'd still be the same with you as always. o:

5. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just finished writting a letter for the 3rd time. I think this one is the best.

Now all I got to do is give it to my mom somehow.

6. Mitchell

I'm glad your therapist is supportive. They sort of have to be to do that kind of job, or at least I like to think that.

The idea of telling your mom in a session sounds nice, to get the support there. At the same time, are you prepared for what it will be like after the session ends and you go back home with your mother? Have you thought of how you might deal with any akwardness or any uncomfortable feelings you may feel? I'm not saying that it will happen - just saying that the therapist could very easily help you come out to your mother, but I feel that you also need to prepare yourself for being a little patient with everyone after you tell them... in the event (maybe even a very unlikely event!) that they may just need space?

You're doing all the right things! Good luck, stay positive, and i'm sure it will all go well!

7. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have very bad social anxiety. For example when I told my therapist just over texts I think I had a panic attack. I was stuck there for a few minutes just laying there and shaking a lot.

And yeah i am trying to prepare for any way she reacts

#7 silverdeer, Mar 20, 2016