1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does bisexuality really exist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ralphtruco, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    well like a year ago i finally acepted the fact im bi...but i not really sure that im that anymore, mainly because of the fact that almost ALL of the friends i come out to say that im probably gay xD
    and i know i should really listen to them, but, i have been thinking and o_o at least seually speaking i haven seen a women like THAT in a long time o.o and guys yes xD
    but, last year was also the year that i fell in love with a girl (waa it was horrible xD her boyfriends was my bestfriend, -.- i had to see them all over each other always) and... this year i have also have feelings for a guy... so i dont know im confused :S maybe my bisexuality was just a phase to being a gay :S? i ... dont know o_o
    so well any sugestions or anything xD?

2. AlexanderL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because you're not into any girls at the moment doesn't mean your totally gay, it just means you're not into any girls at the moment. I think your just over thinking it, personally. That's what bi means, right? Liking boys and girls. I guess what I'm saying is, just because there aren't any cool girls that your into, doesn't mean that you don't like girls period.

3. Shevanel

yes, sexuality fluxuates a lot, well at least for me. its almost like a sand timer. lol. it just sorta rocks back and forth. like there are times where i would just be sad cuz i thought i was just in denial of being gay but then theres times like now where I feel more straight than anything. it honestly depends on you tho. everyone is different.

4. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah! the denial of being gay is how i feel sometimes xD and the other parts sometimes o_o
    well ok tks =D
    AND wou surfer dude :confused: 725 people?!

5. Bryan44

This is question Ive asked myself time and time again. Like I was just using bi so I wouldnt have to admit that Im gay. Ive known that I have always been attracted to guys since I was younger, but my most serious relationship was with a girl. So yes, I do believe that bi sexuality does exist. I feel that whether I end up with a man or woman that I would be equally happy. But im still young, and I am open to the fact that my preferences could change over time.

6. biisme

Well, I don't know if you are bisexual, or gay, or unsure, but I can tell you that it does exist. I am bisexual. I don't think it's a stepping stone to me being gay, because I would have no problem if I were gay. In some ways I view being a lesbian easier than being a bisexual. However, I look at boys and I think, I would do him and have a deep connected relationship with them. And, I can look at a girl and think the same.

7. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah sometimes i reeeally wished i was something or another not in the midle, because :S it would be dificult finding someone that can understand my sexuality (both boy and girl)
    well... tks again ^^

8. Greggers

Im going to admit, i dont really understand bisexuality xD Its been great talking to some people on EC who identify and bi and just watching them flip back and forth from liking girls to guys. I still dont really understand it, most likely never fully will seeing as ive never had so much as a spark of attraction to a girl. But, i do 100% believe that you CAN be bisexual, otherwise everything ive seen just makes no sense. From what i can tell, its not so much of an "i love boys AND girls at the same time this very moment" but more of a switchboard, going back and forth between them situation to situation (correct me if im wrong). It seems to me being bi would be alot harder than being gay.

9. Derek the Wolf

Very few people understand bisexuality. Especially those of us who experience its fickle nature. Some people do identify as bi and then later as gay, but not all. I'm confident that I'm gay or straight because of the fact that sometimes my sexuality makes my head spin, and I don't know which way is up. Most people don't understand me, and they don't have to. Understanding is not a prerequisite to acceptance.
    There's a book called "Bi America." I don't recommend you read it. It's not about bisexuality at all. X3. Try "The Bisexual Option" by Dr. Fritz Klein. I've heard good things (although I personally haven't gotten my hands in it yet).
    Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you wanna talk.

10. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah o,o i think is something like back and forth xD because like last year i could NEVER imagine myself having a boyfriend...but now this year :33 i reealy like this guy (damm hes straigth xDD) so yeah ._.
    and D: i do think is harder to be bi than gay ._.

11. Derek the Wolf

Sorry to hear about it, it always sucks when they turn out to be straight.
    I honestly agree, being bi is more difficult. It's difficult to gain acceptance in either community, and you're not understood in either. Still, it's the way we are.
    ^^ We make the best of it. (*hug*)

12. biisme

Well, so far I've been pretty consistently down the middle, liking both. I hopefully don't have too many of those flip-flops that bisexuality is infamous for in the future.

I would say the toughest part about being bisexual is that so many people just don't believe you or don't understand. And then there's being labelled as "an attention-getter", "a whore", or "promiscuous". A lot of people assume that girls who say they are bi are actually straight and guys who say they are bi are actually gay.

13. Bryan44

True..

14. Lol oh my. My track record can certainly disprove that notion. I definitely go back and forth. Although boys catch my eye more frequently.

15. Courtneyyy

For the longest time I didn't really understand bisexuality and I thought it was girls getting attention and guys not fully coming out. I still don't understand it, even tho I'm somewhere between bi and lesbian. I do believe that being bi is harder than being gay, because it's this gray middle area, a lot of people don't believe you, it's hard to figure out your sexuality. Altho at times I'm glad that there's some part of me that's attracted to men in hopes that I'll marry a man, sometimes I wish I was a lesbian and was more confident in what I wanted.

16. Sarah

once my mom was talking about sexualities, she thinks its lik a birth defect, lik an imbalance of hormones(its sounded horrible the way she said it, it was lik she was saying gay ppl are retarded) nd she thinks tat mayb ppl who are bisexual, mayb thier hormones are to closely balanced or mayb their mind is messd up. but idk. it was kind of messd up the way she said it. lik she thought that homosexuality is a disease or watever.

i totally disagree with her. but im just puttin wat i think tat someone i kno thinks. i personally hav no opinion on it really. i think ppl just are the way they are and its just the map out of their mind or something

17. SirBoobalot

I saw a theory a while ago.. most of the details have totally vanished from my mind, but a quick google could probably find them if you're interested - that sexuality is a sliding scale, rather than this or that. Some people are very far out on the straight end of the scale, they'd almost never notice someone of the same sex; some are a bit more towards the middle, they notice people of the same sex every now and then but would still identify as straight; vice versa for gay folk and us bis are sitting in the middle.

I have no idea whether I agree with it or not; I haven't spoken to enough people to decide, but it's an interesting thought.

Loveislove hit the nail, really. Most gay or straight people.. as far as I know, I've never been either so I guess I couldn't be wrong :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: don't really have a concept of what it would it be like to be regularly attracted to whichever sex. Being bi I can't imagine seeing someone and instantly deciding that I'm not attracted to them based on anything other than their individual looks and demeanour - it's a strange idea to me, of disqualifying an entire half of the population based on gender. >.<

18. biisme

Very well put.

19. Yeah I cant imagine being like I cant be in love with you since you're a guy/girl

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Claiming bisexuality can certainly just be a stepping stone to deciding you're completely gay. But this doesn't mean bisexuality doesn't exist. It just means it doesn't exist anymore for YOU. :slight_smile:

Lex