1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad keeps trying to pour his emotions out to me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wander, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And it's really getting frustrating. I'm trying not to post my family's whole personal story online, but at least it's anonymous here.

He and my mom are split, and her mom keeps nagging him that he's not spending enough time with us kids, or that he neglects us, or whatever. I know she's just trying to stir things up, and honestly I don't mind being "neglected" by him at all. His idea of fun and bonding is the complete opposite of mine, him being a people-person and me the introvert. He's big on the "Let's go do something", while I would rather be left alone, and I've told him that several times.

But he just got finished a teary-eyed "I need you to tell me you love me" speech, and I've about had enough of it. I get that he's in a tough situation, but his teenage son is not the person to be dumping his thoughts and troubles onto. I really wish he would keep that between himself, my mom, and perhaps a counselor, but he doesn't seem capable. Anything I can do?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

What would that "Lets go do something" be? Perhaps you dont show enough emotion and he thinks hes lost you though. Think of this in his perspective too. You may be giving off bad vibes to him and he may fret that hes lost you too.

3. NoLeafClover

I certainly don't know your story, but I'd kill to see my father that emotional with me. Quite the emotional gap between the two of us, I feel. Try seeing him as a human being first, and then your father.

I'm not jealous....:eusa_liar

4. sdc91

Try doing something with him? I mean, what else are you going to do, be on the comp?

Maybe you're not a very emotional person, but your dad is really trying.

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Yes, he is. And you know what, not many these days seem to have any attatchment to their sons anymore. A lot see it as a taboo to be too 'weak' around their boys. :slight_smile: Enjoy it while it lasts. But honestly, I think he wants someone to be around especially if there's tension around his wife.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not the wife any more.

7. Mickey

Maybe your mom isn't his wife anymore,but you're still his son and he's still your dad.
    That will never change. Give him a break. He's reaching out to you.

8. Alex19

yea, he obviously cares so id give him a shot. did u tell him that your gay? if u tell him that, he might feel that you trust him. and if u havnt yet, it doesnt sound like hed give u a bad reaction anyway. id say your dad loves you alot.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wander, give your dad some time. That's all he wants. He's going through a rough patch.

10. casjerem

casjerem Guest

I would try to spend time with him. Maybe after splitting up with your mother, he is just trying to make sure he doesn't lose you and he is just trying to spend time with you more. If you care about him, you should give it chance. There are people that can't say that their father wants to have some sort of relationships, I know I'm one of them. So if you really care for him, give him a chance, you don't want to push him away.

11. someguy82

You should be glad you have a dad that reaches out to you. A lot of people aren't so lucky.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I don't think I've pulled this card out of the Decks of Lex for some time. Nice to know it's still here.

Don't tell us.
    Tell him.

You're a solitary guy, and you enjoy your own company. That's great. But your father is misreading that. He sees you being cold, and refusing to talk to him, which isn't really your intent. Also, here's a little hint for you (and everyone else under the age of 18). If you treat your parents directly, like an adult, they're much more likely to respond in kind. So just have a talk with him.

"Dad, I'm actually kind of a loner. I don't spend so much time alone because I can't make friends, or I'm totally backward socially. I actually just enjoy my alone time a lot. Whenever we get together, you plan all these social activities, and frankly, they don't really interest me. I'd be a lot happier just maybe having dinner with you, maybe watching a show with you, and then reading/working on the computer by myself. This doesn't mean I don't like you - that's just the sort of thing I like doing, OK?"

Lex

13. Alex19

Jesus, Lex, why do u have to show the rest of us up? lol

14. Bryan

He really needs some support, so just give him what he wants, but you should try to get him to go to therapy.