1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As A Highschooler...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Qwertyface, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Qwertyface

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm a gay male and have a friend who I have been dating for almost a year (in one week). But, he has not come out yet and his dad thinks being gay is a sin. I'm wondering what I can/should do to help.

2. guitar

Let him come out in his own time and support him as best you can. It can take years or even decades to finally reach a place where you're ready to come out. If his father thinks being gay is a sin, it might be in his best interest not to come out, but that will be up to him to decide. A general rule is if you are not pretty sure that your parents will support you if you come out as gay, or if you could be physically or mentally abused to disowned, it's in your best interest to hide your sexuality until you're independent enough to be able to survive on your own.

So at this time, I would just focus on supporting him as best you can and being there for him. Maybe introduce him to this website or maybe other LGBT media. There are a lot of LGBT novels about coming out, as well as movies, and online outlets.