1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in high school...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by staries, Mar 24, 2016.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone, it's me, Daryl. In lots of my other posts I've talked about going into high school stealth, and obviously that never happened. I've been in the closet with teachers and classmates but not my friends. I am sick of everyone thinking of me as an girl and I want to come out. My mom thinks I'm not ready because I'm "a sensitive person" and she doesn't want high school to be hard for me. But life is already going to be hard for me because I'm trans, have dysphoria, and am a POC. I just want to help her understand, and also need advice on how not to be scared about coming out to the whole school. Another thing that bothers me is that I take dance, and have to change in the girl's locker room. I'm not sure how I would deal with that.

2. Noir

Hi, Daryl! I know that everyone's high school student body and high school experience is different, but I would encourage you to consider coming out--as long as you'd feel safe and unthreathened, for the most part--but it sounds like you have friends and family who support you!! Do you know of any other trans people who've come out and how they're treated at your school? I know there will always be ignorant people who just won't understand because they don't want to, but if most people are pretty chill about it, that will be much easier after everyone gets used to your new pronouns. I don't think the locker room would be as big a problem if you're changing with girls, either--especially since everyone is pretty used to changing in front of one another since middle school.