1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GeneralLeia, Mar 24, 2016.

1. GeneralLeia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, so I had my first kiss about a month ago (yay!) and the girl, Isabel, and I have been on a few dates and made out since. We're both lesbians, but neither of us are out to our parents, although both of us are out to some friends. It's not like we're dating, but before we kissed I thought of my lesbianism in the abstract. Like, someday I'll have a beautiful wife and kids. Somehow, that justified my plan of staying in the closet until I'm 18 and moved out of the house. And now, suddenly, it doesn't feel like an option anymore, especially since I don't want to have to hide a relationship from my parents. I'm only 14, so 18 is a long ways away. I'm Jewish, so it's not as if they'll have religious objections, and I'm sure they'll be fairly supportive, but I just don't feel ready. I just can't help but feel guilty about them possibly feeling betrayed that I didn't tell them sooner, even though I know they'll say I'm "too young to know" if I tell them now. Does anyone have any advice? Should I tell them, and if so, how?

2. alienatedapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats on the first kiss thing! On a more serious note, I wouldnt suggest coming out if you dont feel completely ready. Discovering your sexuality is a personal journey for you and you alone- dont feel obliged to tell anyone youre not comfortable telling. Your sexuality is nobodies business but yours! If you do decide to come out, I would say from personal experience that face to face is the best. Stay calm and answer any questions they might have. If they tell you that youre too young to know, tell them that if you were straight it wouldnt be too young to know :slight_smile:

3. GeneralLeia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just feel like they'll feel betrayed or something when I do finally come out that I didn't tell them sooner. It's a damned if I do damned if I don't situation for me. How am I supposed to balance having a healthy relationship with them and keeping a huge secret from them?