1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic rant!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silas99, Feb 18, 2009.

1. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK just need to have a bit of a rant after my annoyingly rubbishy day...there is no section on this site specifically for these grievances so I've randomly put it under advice. Sorry, I'm sure this has happened to everyone but its just been a generally bad day.

Earlier today I was happily having a normal conversation with another student about something geeky and obscure (cant really remember exactly). Anyway someone else joined into the conversation and we started talking about IVF and genetics and all that jazz. It ended up with one of the students talking about how there should be restrictions on IVF and adoptions. I asked what she meant by that; to which she replied that it wasn't fair for a gay couple to be given IVF treatment before a straight couple. "I'm not homophobic or anything but why should they be given priority over a normal family? The child is going to be brought up properly with a mother and a father? Society is just going downhill and morals are flying out the window!"

OK I had to take a breath in to contemplate exactly what she just said. She thinks I'm straight so she continued on her gay smashing thinking she was causing no offence.
    "I'm not homophobic but gays are just so unnatural...blablabla"

I then asked her what she would do if her son or daughter told her they were gay. "Well they wont because I'll bring them up properly.Boys are only gay because they were babied too much by their mothers, and lesbians are girls who are frigid and too scared to be with men."

At that point my mouth was actually hitting the floor, and the other two students who were there were laughing their heads off at her comments. I just raised my eyebrows, and walked away, there was no point in arguing. I came so close to coming out to her just to see the look on her face, but I'm glad I didnt because there are more important people in my life who must be told before the wicked witch of East. Although I'm quite a strong minded person, I cannot deny her comments ripped out my heart and I came home and cried for an hour. Just an hour...because she's not worth my tears.

Anyway rant over...back to happy stories. Hope everyone had a better day than me.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Wtf is IVF?

Ask her, what is natural? And who says so.

3. kayar

Ouch! That was a horrible display for you to be witness to, and I'm sooo sorry you had to be there. Yes, it's really difficult in any situation like that one to decide then and there how you're going to react or not as the case may be. Do I, don't I; do I, don't I; just keeps rolling round in your head for what seems like for ever - although really it's just seconds. At the end of the day, I believe you did the best thing you could have done in the circumstances you found yourself in. A person like that really needs educating and enlightening, neither of which stand much chance of being achieved during confrontation; and confrontation was most likely your only other option. So well done, hurtful though it was; and her education will still be there to be tackled on another day. No more tears, you did well and you should acknowledge that to yourself.

Take care and a big hug, Kayar. X

4. littledinosaurs

She clearly doesn't know what being homophobic means...
    she counts like a See You Next Tuesday!!!!

5. kayar

Yeah, Enigma - IVF stands for 'In Vitro Fertilisation'. In other words what I've heard commonly referred to as 'test tube babies'. Have you heard of that?

Kayar. X

6. Alex19

that girl is one stupid bizatch! i feel your anger though. but shes clearly the ignorant type.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Never ever.

Just never heard it as IVF. I think gay parents might actually better suited to be parents honestly. They would probably teach their kids better manners, how to act with civility and less hatred for other people. And to be open minded--god forbid-with other people and be more accepting.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>"I'm not homophobic but gays are just so unnatural...blablabla"

Back in high school, a girl in my class actually started a sentence with "Now, don't think I'm anti-nigger, but..."

...now where would we get THAT idea?

Lex

9. Alex19

i agree with the enigma. we would make great parents. but we just so happen to b unable to without assistance. damn!

10. EM68

She sounds either stupid or ignorant. Not too sure which.

11. DexterMorgan

It seems like your friend is brain dead...how sad.

12. littledinosaurs

Don't say that!
    its insulting to the brain dead people to be associated with that person!!

13. Bryan

Thats a shame. When ever I hear stuff like that (and believe me, I do). I just call them out on their ignorance and bigotry. And I inform them that I will not associate with bigots and walk away.

14. bruenor92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ummm, when the hell does anybody come to a point in their life when they go "mhm i think im gonna like boys/girls"? when in the history of man has that ever happened, when some1 tells me that its a choice i imagine them in a little cartoon where an anvil falls on their head and they die, that pisses me of so much, argh, i hate ignorance.

15. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha that comment really made me smile! Thanks guys for your comments....they definitely cheered me up. I think in her case she is very uneducated and if I'd had the energy yesterday I would have argued my case (I'm not bad in those sorts of debating situations)....but I really dont think it would have made a difference. She is so stuck in her beliefs that it would take a family member to come out, for her to perhaps think differently. The sad thing is that in a year she will be a doctor and I hope for her sake and her patients that her attitude changes. The ray of sunshine in that is that doctors are trained not to allow their beliefs interfere with their patient care....so even if she thinks gays are "weird and unnatural" she'll still have to treat them all the same!

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol It's very true. Why're you going to announce you're not an anti-XXX and then bad mouth them? Truly, the wisest idea is to say that afterwards. But if you go on to say they're unnatural or disgusting like that then you truly are just admitting that you dislike this particular type/genre of peoples and you're not able to come to terms with it. That's my opinion. People who usually say that are forced to think that way by being bombarded by media and most importantly, parents. So don't be so quick to anger, most times, it's not fair that their parents ingrain such mediocre moral standards.

17. Mickey

I'd say BOTH!

18. nathaniel

nathaniel Guest

people aren't always the brightest crayon in the box xD lol

19. dano22

dano22 Guest

My homophobic roommate in college and my so called friends in High School were so obsessed with anti gay comments that it got to the point where it just was pathetic and stupid. I have been called a coward for never confronting my roommate but my life might of been in danger if I would of confronted him. He apparently had some mental health issues. My landlord was dumb enough to let him get a lease on a apartment seriously. Some people are not worth confronting just simply because they just won't listen anyways and even seeing gay person commit suicide would not cause them to shed a tear. It's sad and pathetic but its the way some people are.

20. rx79g

That's really crappy, but there will always be people like that. They may appear in fewer numbers (lim as x approaches infinity = 0) but there will always be at least one. I think you did the perfect thing by walking away, confrontation just fuels those people's senses of self importance.