1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrified to come out of the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Beanie7, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Beanie7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Coming from a Christian family has always made me ashamed of who I am. But I've realized God loves me just the way I am. But will my family still love me? How do I come out to them? I don't want them to disown me or try to fix me. I'm who I am supposed to be.

2. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand your concerns; I had most to them myself before I came out to my parents. I come from a devout Catholic family. I made myself believe that they would disown me for something that was out of my control.

That being said, my parents were extremely accepting. In fact, they didn't really care. If your parents truly love you, which is generally the case, they will still love you after you come out.

As to the question of how to come out: that is entirely up to you. My mom found out because she read my text messages, and almost immediately told my dad. Classy, I know. If you're not comfortable with the classic sit-down-and-talk, a letter will do the trick. And sometimes it's easier to convey what you're feeling if you have the opportunity to think it through. Although ultimately, do whatever is easiest and makes you the most comfortable.

I'd also like to note that you have to be entirely ready to come out. Do not feel pressured to say anything. When you're ready to tell them, you'll know. It's great that you've accepted yourself, though; that's most of the battle, right there.

Good luck, and stay true to yourself!

3. stirling

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay to be scared to come out to a catholic family.
    I came out as Pan to my Catholic family, and they didn't take it the best way. I'm not saying that all families won't take it well, but mine did. Just be gentle about the way you do it. Sometimes straight out telling the isn't the way to go. Make sure to keep a positive attitude no matter what happens. I wish you the best of luck!

4. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its understandable that you're scared to come out. Try not to think about the things that could go wrong, if your family truly loves you they won't disown you or try to fix you, they'll just accept you for you. Just be gentle about the way you say it so they have time to process what you're saying and it doesn't seem like a massive wave of information. Most importantly make sure you keep a positive attitude regardless of the outcome.
    Goodluck and I wish you all the best.