1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to start

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noodle72, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently, I'm out to a couple frens, but by that I mean that one or two people know I'm agender, a couple more people know I'm pansexual, and a few think I still identify as a demiboy, since I used to and came out to a few friends while identifying with that label.

I've also had a short conversation with my mom where I told her about nonbinary genders and how "I think I might be nonbinary of some sort" even though I know I am, I just wasn't ready to tell her and didn't really know how.

I have no idea how much my dad knows about nonbinary genders, I think he knows they exist, and I'm sure he'd be accepting, just needing some explaining of what it all means.

My problem is, I want to start making my way to a place where I can openly be the agender kid named Evan who goes by they/them pronouns, and I have no idea where to start.

Do I clarify that I now identify as agender to the people who currently think I'm a demiboy? Do I tell my mom about agender and how it's a nonbinary gender and I identify as it? Do I ask my dad how much he knows about nonbinary genders, educate him, and come out? If one of the second two, how would I do that? I'm incredibly shy, and I don't know how I would go about telling them that I want to go by a name that's different from the one that they gave me at birth.

(*side note: it'd be nice to tell both my parents at the same time, but they're divorced [and I spend equal amount of time at either of their houses] so I can't really do that.)

I could just wait a while and stay in the closet, but while I'm not necessarily uncomfortable with people not knowing, I'd much rather get to a place where I'm a lot happier with myself and who I am, and where more than two people know these things about me.

Please help, and thanks in advance for any advice (!)

2. killswitch0029

You could try writing a letter. That would give you the chance to provide some details about non-binary genders. You'd likely still have to speak with your parents afterwards though so you would need to prepare yourself for a reaction.
    Hope this helps :slight_smile: