1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay hating church and iv'e been outed, help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by atomic dorito, Mar 29, 2016.

1. atomic dorito

Hello, I attend a youth group once a month and I have recently been told by my friends that everybody knows i'm lesbian. I am apparently going to receive "a talk" to set rules and "boundaries" etc. All I would like to know is what to do in this predicament. i'm not the only lgbt youth attending. there are two bisexuals and a bicurious who also attend. I want to keep going, but I don't know what to do.... how do I respond to this "talk"? how do I act until i have received said talk? in general, what do I do? :help::***::confused::dry:

2. afgirl

That is so difficult, and I really don't know what to tell you, as you are the one experiencing the situation. What I want you to know, if you don't already realize it, is that all this is based on ignorance and the interpretation of maybe six verses in the Bible. I don't believe God loves me any less for being who I am, and I happen to be a person of great faith. What I don't understand is why homosexuality seems to be the sought out "sin" to address. I'm sure the church is full of liars, cheaters, adulterers, thiefs....but for some reason, people seem hell bent on ensuring that homosexuality is not tolerated.

There ARE churches who accept gays and there are gay churches. I understand this is probably where your have friends and you want to go there, so it's entirely up to you how you proceed. Sorry for rambling and maybe I wasn't really helpful about giving you an answer, but I want you to know that their ignorance is not your fault. Consider what the "talk" consists of, how it's presented, and what, if any, terms are given to you regarding your attendance to the youth group.

3. killswitch0029

The way I look at religion is that it's supposed to be about being a good person. If this group is unable to do that then honestly you need to find a better group of people to be around. That might be hard for you to do since you said you want to keep going but if you're just going to be faced with negativity it doesn't seem ideal to keep going.

If you want to stick it out until the next meeting and make your decision depending on how it goes that's another option.