1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bxx1234x, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Bxx1234x

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have recently come out (within like the last couple of months) to close friends and family. I'll be attending grad school this coming fall and I'd like to be completely out by the time that starts. Problem is, my not-so-close friend from high school might also be attending the same school. For some reason, I'm so nervous for this friend to find out! Not that I think he will judge me or anything, but I dated the opposite gender all throughout high school, so I think he has a different idea of me. And I don't know why I'm so scared to tell him! I get that it shouldn't even be any of his business anyway, but I want to be as out as possible by the time school begins. How should I go about telling him? Should I just not? And what do I say if he asks me about my dating life? Helpppp

Sidenote: This is the reason why I hate being LGBT the most. This whole coming out process is so annoying and stress-inducing for no reason!

2. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It sounds to me like you're just stressed and overthinking everything, which is definitely something I can relate to if it is, in fact, the case. If I were you, I would probably just come out and not worry about him. From what you said about him, his reaction will probably be "Oh, that guy from high school is gay. Now I can say I knew a closeted gay during high school and pretend I just had a really good gay-dar!" If I was in your position I would just cross that bridge when I got there.

3. HiperGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Bxx1234x!

Yep, coming out is a very tough process. You did it, so you made a deeper good advance. Now you're worried about this guy, who was present in the must part of your life. You shouldn't be stressed out about that. Since you have came until here, his opinion isn't important for being yourself. You told the ones who really matters.

Though telling someone from past about your real-you isn't that easy, you should consider just do it by once and free yourself from your chains. What he could do? If his reaction goes bad you shoud just get away from him. If you're you so scared about talking with him about that, just let them come to you and ask.

Seriously, won't make you feel worse. You'll just be 100% you, and doesn't exist anything better than that. I wish you lucky :slight_smile:

Share your experience with us after everything.

#3 HiperGuy, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, sounds like the not-so-close friend should be more of an after-thought than a stressor. I know that's easier said than done, but meh... Screw him, it's not like his opinion matters in the global scale anyway. :icon_bigg

What I did for all the ancillary folks who I wanted to know, but didn't want or need to have the in-person or phone call conversation with, I created a Facebook coming out note and just went public that way after the important folks had been addressed. Relatively easy and painless... Sure, I lost a few FB friends, but again meh, screw 'em.

Good luck in grad school... be glad you didn't choose law school. :eek: