1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to More Than Just Your Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skittleALY, Apr 2, 2016.

1. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So I've been out to my family for over a year now and I'm at the point where I've been on dating apps and such (no luck so far), but my mom is worried that since no one else knows that I'm gay besides my family that it could come back to bite me I guess if anyone finds out before I tell them?

One thing she's worried about is I coach at a high school, and she's worried if it gets out I guess - something similar happened at another school when the players saw the coach out with her girlfriend. She's also worried that someone could see me on one of the apps and out me I guess?

I've just always thought I didn't need to formally come out to anyone who isn't my family. I'm not going to hide it, but I don't feel a need to formally come out to anyone.

Is it like that anymore, or are my mom's fears unfounded?

2. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its up to you. If you don't feel the need to formally come out to everyone then I think thats fine. People will either accept you or not, and if you're okay with that or with someone potentially outing you then I think you've got it. And you've said you aren't going to hide it. If I were to guess, I'd say your mom is just concerned about you being outed without your consent?
    Have you tried talking to your mom about this? It may be good to clear up your feelings on the situation.