1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to grandparents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by analogue, Apr 4, 2016.

1. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any suggestions on how to come out to my grandparents?

I mean, my first goal is to come out to my parents, and I am going to when I visit home in a few weeks.

But I'd also like to come out to my grandparents at some point, because despite them living in a different province and seeing them maybe twice a year, I feel fairly close to them. I'm just a little worried though because I'm not sure how they'll take the news. My grandpa is fairly old fashioned, but seems open to new ideas, so I'm hoping he'd be open to this. My grandma is a different story though. She is very old fashioned in thinking (eg. she has been known to say racist things and is against the Syrian refugees, etc. She's also slowly losing her memory.) I also remember once (a long time ago now) she said something about Ellen Degeneres, and my grandpa replied with "you only don't like her because she's a lesbian."
    Any advice/ideas how the easiest way would be to tell them?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I waited awhile after I told my parents to tell my grandparents. What I did was tell my parents that I was planning to tell my grandparents, and ask them for guidance on the best way to do it. They gave me some ideas on timing, things to say, and whatnot.

I ended up telling each set of grandparents over lunch on separate occasions, and it went well. I just said "hey this is something I've known for awhile but only now am I really ready to say it. I want to let you know that I'm gay." Got right to the point. Then of course they asked questions--how long I've known, who else in the family I'd told, if I was dating someone, etc. They've all since met my bf and they all really like him.

For a very close and supportive family like mine, this is what worked for me.

3. analogue

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I will definitely tell my parents first, but it didn't occur to me to ask them to help with my grandparents. I'm sure my mom could help out quite a bit (they're her parents).

Thank you!

4. DragonOfNarnia

Hi SemiCharmedLife! I love Jennifer Lawrence too! (Do you crush on her because she's also from Kentucky?) Perry The Platypus is one of my favourite cartoon characters.

@jem
    I think you shouldn't tell your grandmother, since she's so judgemental. If you want to come out to her, I think you should first and foremost ask her if she will love and accept you as a granddaughter regardless of anything. Or you could drop subtle hints to ask her what her opinion on LGBTQ is. She could have mellowed out over the years.

5. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote my grandmother a letter explaining everything.
    Turns out she's fine with me being gay!
    I would recommend letter writing, it enables you to get everything down to explain it.