1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liam900, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Liam900

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, im not sure on how to come out to anyone about being transgender. Im not sure how to tell my parents and my family members about being transgender and my friends, im asking for advice because im scared to come out to them and not have support from them.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Maybe someone with more experience coming out as transgender could help you more, but maybe you could come out to someone who you're close to and trust first. Start there so you have a steady base when you come out to other people.
    If you don't have anyone you feel you can trust that you're close to, there are many other people you could reach out to that can help you and be there for you. Perhaps an acquaintance that you know to be an accepting person that you could get close to. I don't know what age you are, but a councilor or a therapist could help too.

Don't do anything faster than you're ready for. Sometimes it can be hard to tell people because you fear they'll take it as a shock. People can often change and get used to things though. And you can come out to people in lots of different ways: text, by a written letter, over the phone, in a car ride; whatever way makes things easiest for you. You could even provide some people with pamphlets or links to websites that explain what being transgender means if they don't understand.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

3. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, Liam... where to start, honey? Everyone's coming out is different because the people you come out to are different. Is your family religious? Homophobic? Generally accepting? How old are you? What's your living arrangements like? The list goes on and on.

We stand here - ready, willing, and mostly-able :wink: - to help you in this journey. I just posted a draft of a letter I'm going to send to my extended network of friends/family who I'm not going to come out to in-person. Feel free to plagiarize the hell out of it (or not... No offense taken either way, Liam)

Regarding coming out in person, can I be so bold as to ask for some more details about you and your family? Nothing that would out you in-real-life (keep names, locations, unique identifying details to a bare minimum), but flesh out the backstory a bit so we can tailor our suggestions.

Also, while you're at it, check out PFLAG's site: PFLAG National