1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I could get expelled...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheLionRoars360, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TheLionRoars360

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I go to an all-girl private school that will make you leave if you're out of the closet. I haven't told my parents about my sexuality yet but I'm afraid that once I start coming out I'll get expelled. Tuition for school costs a LOT of money, and I'm afraid that I will come out to my parents and then just have to stay in the closet until I'm eighteen - and I love my school. The teachers are nice, my grandma is a teacher there, and there is an enforced zero-tolerance bullying policy. Public school is not an option, but there is another private school that would probably accept me. My little brother goes there. But what should I do? I feel like I don't like my school enough to hide my sexuality in order to keep going there, but I need my parents to agree...:help:

2. killswitch0029

I'm not entirely sure how legal it would be for a school to expel you for coming out but... You could try looking into that other school as an option if you're determined to come out

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given your limited options, it may be better to endure a bit longer in the closet and ask that you be transferred to that other school. However, if you like the school you are in and you could lose that opportunity, it may be wise to wait until you are older.

I know, it sucks, but getting a good education is very, very important...

4. confusedude

Are you in the United States? If so, I am fairly certain that a school (even a private one) cannot remove you simply for your sexual orientation. Most states have that as a protected class.

Of course, that is only the legal side of it. Obviously, you face large social obstacles.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you should just move schools. You don't have to come out there, you could tell your parents you want to go to a different one and think of some other reasons why if you don't want to come out to them. If you're not accepted at school or accepted at home then that's just gonna make your life into a black pit of misery. Either school or home, but at least make one of those places somewhere you can be comftable and accepted. If you stay at the school you don't really have to announce it, just tell people you want and ask them not to tell any teachers or the principal or whoever. Just be careful who you tell

#5 jaska, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    WTF they make you leave when you come out? what country do you live in? That's awful!! I go to an all-girls private school and its the only school I've been to where there's been gay girls having real relationships without hiding. I mean, how old are you? If its a while till you're 18, yeah I would probably leave. It really winds you up not telling people.