1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends about gender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nike007, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. So it has been a few months, and I want to tell my friends about my new gender identity. Like badly. I have bought cards, printed some information about androgyne (my gender), and am going to print a thing I made about it. Just I want to give this to them after I have come out to them so they can learn more information about my gender and what to know about it. I am just really scared about doing it because I don't know what my friends will say. I know that it will be hard for them to call me by a new name (well, nickname) and using a different set of pronouns (Niko/Niko's instead of she/her). I am unsure what they will say. I think they may be starting to suspect something because I recently (like a month ago) cut my hair short, been wearing more clothes that are deemed "men's", wearing a belt, etc.. Also, i have been talking more about gender identity issues in the states because I find a lot of it crazy. So maybe they know that I may not be fully female. I am unsure. I am just really scared. How did people tell their friends that they are a different gender and what did they say? Did they ask anything in particular? I am thinking about doing this soon. I'm not sure when. Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:.

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... My friends (closer and not so close) generally were supportive. They did ask things like am I sure (rather out of care for me) or how did I know (hard to explain) or what are my plans. I said I'm male but it wasn't obvious for them to address me differently so I had to say it clearly that I want male pronouns.

Based on my experiences people don't suspect things on visually female going more masculine so don't count on that. People didn't suspect me of being bi just because I was an LGBT advocate either. They might suspect something but don't count on that. I heard people didn't suspect anything even when I told them before that I'm trans etc. but I didn't identify binary at that time.