1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might come out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robishere, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Robishere

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so... I've been thinking about coming out to my family as gay a lot lately :help:. I've known that I'm gay since freshman year of high school and senior year is now coming to a close. I accepted the fact that I'm gay mid-junior year. Anyways, I think it's been long enough and some things that have happened in the past makes me believe that they definitely know that I'm gay... or not straight in the least. If anything I'm telling my mother first, she's the person I'm closest with. I think she might accept me because while having a conversation with her and my sister about her friend's daughter who had just come out as lesbian, I vividly remember her saying "what are you gonna do? They're your children and you have to accept them and support them no matter what." Still, the fact that it's easier said than done has led me to refrain from coming out to her.

After my mom, will come either my two sisters or my father. I have absolutely no idea how any of them will react. Although one of my sister's best friend is openly gay, I've still been too scared to tell them because I love them to death and I can't live without them. When it comes to my dad, the fact that he's never asked me if I like any girls leads me to believe that he might suspect. I'm just so flustered about all these feelings and so unsure of what being my full self will hold in store for me, I needed some advice. Anything helps. What's the easiest way to come out? What do I do after I tell them? I tend to be very awkward, how can I make sure our relationships don't crumble after I tell them?

Thank you!! :smilewave

2. killswitch0029

For the most part it sounds like you have a pretty supportive family. If you'd rather not do it face to face, you could try writing a letter. It's a pretty common method from what I've heard

3. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! I would agree that writing a letter is definitely a good way to come out. It allows you to put all your thoughts on paper in a logical order without getting flustered in the heat of the moment. I know I used this method to come out to my parents because although I knew my parents would be supportive I just couldn't build up the courage or find the right time to come out and say it to them. From reading your post it sounds like your parents will be supportive of you. The most important thing to remember is that they will probably have a lot of questions for you as they learn to accept but I found that welcoming this, no matter how awkward the question helped to ease any tensions and anxieties my parents may have had. On the whole, take your time, come out when you're ready and in a way that feels right for you. Good luck! And be sure to let us all know how you get on when the time comes! Once again, all the best with everything :slight_smile: hope this helps somewhat!

4. gryf

Wow. I can say I am nawe of your courage.
    From what you wrote, you have this planned well.
    You know who to talk to first and that she will be the most supportive.

I hope it went well for you. I'm fairly certain you will have had a similar experience to me.

Everything went OK, but you still felt like you were jumping off a cliff with no parachute.

Hoping to hear how it went.