1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to but I'm scared

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kai88, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Kai88

Kai88 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've accepted (well kinda) the fact that I'm gay and there's nothing I can do about it. I want to tell my friends and family just to get it over with but I'm terrified. Of course I had to be born into the gay hating lord praising family that I have which is probably why it was hard for me to be ok with it. I've always been told that homosexuals were abominations by my parents. I have an older brother and sister and they're no better (well my sister is probably the best one.) My brother is a very macho type guy and hates anything fem or gay. He's gotten in trouble at school for bothering a gay guy. He's always been a bully so I can just imagine how he would treat me if I told him. My sister is very invested with the church but she's also a very kind person. I don't think that she agrees with homosexuality but I still feel like she would accept me. The problem is the rest of my family.

Ok now my friends... I'm not as afraid with my friends but I'm still a little iffy. My female friends seem to love all things gay so I'm not very worried for them. My best friend is a guy and he comes from a similar family but I don't know where he stands with the gay thing. I'm afraid that he'll stop talking to me because he thinks that I like him or something like that. I've known him since we were basically born (parents are very close) and he's like a brother to me. I just don't want to lose him. How do I tell him without making him feel weird?

Wow I kinda ranted for a bit and I don't even know if this makes sense but I'm a little too lazy to fix anything. Anywaaayy, I just wanted some advice for coming out. I don't know how to begin. Do I just blurt it out? Do I text them? Do I call them? Maybe I'll send them a postcard because I'll be long gone (since I'm such a puss bag.) I really don't know how and I know that it's different for everyone but I need some advice.

Thank you in advance and I seriously hope that this makes sense I'm really bad at this and I'm new too. So yeah. bye? Thanks? idk....

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't come out unless you are sure you will not be kicked out / receiving a really aggressive response. If you have alternatives from living with your parents, that's fine, but as long as you're financially dependent to them you should wait. That's my opinion.

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you're determined to do it and I respect that but are you definitely sure you're ready for the potential responses? I 'came out' (I was never really in tbh) at about 13 to my closest and most trusted friends. It was about a year later that I told my family and everyone else in the world. This worked for me because my good friends gave me a lot of support when my family 'outing' was not so successful. However it is different for everyone and the environment I grew up in was different from yours i.e. no church influence and a generally more liberal society, although in a time when being gay was a lot less mainstream.
    When you tell your best friend, why not add in to the mix that you have a crush on someone else such as a celebrity or long distance friend etc. That way you're kind of telling him that you're not about to make a move on him because your focus is elsewhere. You said he's like a brother to you so tell him that. He wouldn't fancy his sister so why would you fancy your brother. Don't be surprised though if his initial response is to put some distance between you whilst he takes time to think it over.
    Whatever happens and however you decide to do it, make sure that you stay safe. If you don't get a positive response or you need support don't forget about us here at EC.