1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to come out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Michael5, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Michael5

Michael5 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't get the courage to come out to my mom mainly Just because I'm nervous to what she will say. I'm also afraid that she won't believe me at all as well because I have shown absolutely no signs of being bisexual throughout my life. When I was younger, (like below 10,) whenever a cute guy came up in a movie or I just saw a cute kid in public I automatically pushed it to the back of my mind and acting like I never thought of it. I was super afraid to like both genders because the way people talk about being lgbt where I live. (But not my mom) I thought that if I liked both guys and girls my community would kick me out or do something horrible. Also the friends I currently have I can't come out to either because they always make fun of lgbt kids soooo yeah... My mom though has always shown herself to be very loving and always supportive no matter how bad something is. I fell like my mom would treat me differently if I came out as well. So overall I'm just scared and not brave enough. :eek:

2. nuggetbiscuit

if you are not sure, it is probably better that you don't come out. and i feel you because i'm going through a similar situation. i don't know your age but i guess it's for the best to wait till you are in a place that you no longer feel insecure and you have the power to stand on your own feet. but please remember, just because you cannot come out to your family does not mean they are not gonna accept or love you the way you are. trust me you will know when it is time to come out. do not be afraid. everything's going to be ookay

3. Lyr

Lyr Guest

You can speak about homosexuality and homophobia to see what she thinks of it and then you can make your coming out. If you do not feel ready you can take your time you don't have to rush it and trust me, when you will feel that it's the right time you will have no problem to say it ^^

4. TiaKay

TiaKay Guest

You can maybe start a little conversation with your mom about LGBT so like that you'll know how she feels about these things so maybe you'll less be scared if she okay with these things and if your too scared to tell her in person you can write her a letter and you could take the time you need like that and you could use the good words about your friends if it seems that they make fun of LGBT it doesn't mean they will not be supportive If you come out to them it will probably be different my friends are like that too but their okay with my sexuality

5. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you will never know what she is gonna say until she does it.
    As the others say, you could try to talk about the whole lgbt thing and depending on how she reacts, you could have a picture of how she thinks. I would recommend you to talk about how you feel as human being when your friends laugh at lgbt kids and wait for her reaction.

Do not push you, and tell her whenever you feel like it. I waited until 27 thinking my family wasn't very supportive, and it wasn't easy, but there was a moment when I felt I just had to say it. After it's been weird, and it still is, but my mother has even asked about my girlfriend once since I came out and told her we were moving together to another country.

As French people say... Courage! You can!

6. Michael5

Michael5 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok so I just heard my sister talking to my mom and found out she is questioning. My mom is very supportive towards her and helping her. So now I really want to come out but I still real to afraid.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2016 at 08:26 PM ----------

New thing I just found out after my mom was talking on the phone was that she thinks my sisters questioning is just a phase and she suspects that I'm questioning and thinks being lgbtq+ is weird. But she does support my sister I think she just wants us to have normal lives... But yeah so now I really don't know what to do.