1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do they know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holynava17, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Holynava17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We were at a museum trip today for my history class, and one of my classmates in the class who happens to be gay, out of nowwhere, sat down with me and begin talking to me like a long lost friend. I have been more happy and free with my words now that I have discovered im Gay, and I think he found it out. Here's the question, do Gay people know other Gay people when they see them? If he did that because he knows, then I may have found someone else for support, which would help ease my coming out to other people.

#1 Holynava17, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Yes. The answer is yes. There's this thing many American's call 'gaydar', and some believe it is a myth and others don't. Gay people, ESPECIALLY males, have the ability to just sniff out other gays. I have witnessed this myself and I can attest to my accuracy with it.

Trust me, other gay guys will find you out in a heart beat if you cross their path. Its a good way to find a partner or a friend.

3. mcrteenagers

I'm gonna disagree on that one actually. While yes, I can agree that gay people sometimes pick out other gay people, its by no means accurate or ever right.

In response to OP, this guy most likely picked up on small signals or vibes you subconsciously give. It could have been something as small as the way you looked at him.

4. Pendrin2020

My gaydar is constantly giving me false readings. but I have to admit, it does work for other people. You should tell him. Support is a good thing.

5. Bryan44

Its possible that you dropped him some signs, whether it be the way you looked at him, or another physical act, maybe he has some sort of clue. Gaydars can be way off sometimes. But if he does know, Pendrin2020 is right, support is s good thing, if hes a trusting person..

6. Holynava17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I should come out to him? He seems like a nice guy, and I do want to meet more people. If I do come out to him, would he take it wrong? As in if I come out, would he think I was trying to hook up with him or something?

7. limfjord96

i also disagree because i am fairly sure that most peopel gay or straight wouldnt be able to "sniff me out." and besides if gaydar is so universal then where the hell is mine? I mean anyone can spot the "really gay" guys, but thats just obvious, but where are all my jocks at (shout out):dry:

8. Bryan44

Ive been wondering the same thing!!

9. limfjord96

respect *fist pound*

10. Bryan44

*pounds fist, represent dawg

11. SexyTimeInTent

Southend-On-Sea, Essex, South East, England
    it is possible that he knows, tell him if you're comfortable and you trust him, perhaps build some sort of friendship. if you think that he (might) thinks you're coming on to him then simply say that you've told him in hope that he'll be there to support you and give advice. but only come out to him if you feel comfortable doing so and you want. cause you have to take everything at your own pace.

I hope that helps.

good luck

12. xXHolic

it is possible for him to think something like that. On the other hand, if you hang out and you see he is like a good guy just get talking with him about that kind of stuff, and according to his reactions you tell him or not! it's up to you

and btw, its true the whole "gaydar" thing. I mean, 90% of the times I can tell whether a guy is gay or not by the way he reacts, talks, smile (it's a great ability) =]

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely convinced of an infalliable gaydar existing.
    I mean, sometimes you're right about a feeling you have, but how many times do you think "that guy is gay" and really get confirmation of it?
    I think it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: you remember the times you were right and forget the times you were wrong or never found out either way.

That said, there are signs you might have given out, and he might be very good at picking up on them.

14. limfjord96

bahhh....i am standing by that gaydar doesnt exist :slight_smile:...i bet if i was ina crowd of people no one would suspect i was gay (except the ones i know on here but thats cheating :slight_smile:). they may wish i was, (wow concieted much?), but they wouldnt suspect, and i sure as hell have no way or clue how to spot the masculine type.

15. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

First off OP, I don't think its a bad idea to come out to him. He could be a great support right now for you. And say stuff like he seems like a good person to talk to and you need the support. I don't think it will seem like you are coming on to him.

Second, I don't believe in gaydar. Cause if it exists, mine's broken. I suck at picking gay people out. And nobody will be able to pick me out in a crowd. Only once someone picked me out. Funny story. This gay kid was at a party I was at. So my other friend asked who he picked out at the party that was gay. So this kid picked a few different people for different reasons and then me. I asked my friend why this kid picked me out, and he said cause of my shirt. I'm like, bitch that's a stereotype. So if I wore a different shirt, he never would have noticed.

And I just mentioned on another thread that I am attracted to the masculine kind too. So how do we spot each other? That's flying under the gaydar. Lol.

16. LyraLissa

I think you should go for it. Usually these things work out well- and, he seems like an understanding guy who won't make the wrong assumptions.

Gaydar exists, but it doesn't always work.
    There have been a few times when I've met girls who aren't obviously gay, and a little birdie in my head tells me they are- and I'm right. :icon_bigg
    One of the best feelings ever... it's so satisfying when my gaydar's right.
    I think being all the way out of the closet actually helps your gaydar- but it depends on the person, and it's never perfect.
    ~Hugs, Lyra

17. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess one way to test your gaydar is getting your ass kicked when it malfunctions! OP just be friends with the kid. You'll get to know him and then decide. Friendship should be based on love, you already know he's gay so take your time and come out whenever...in the end it's up to you....Walk Proud

18. Bryan

I can usually tell. Even if they are in the closet.

If you think he is trustworthy, it is a good idea to talk to him. Support is always good.

19. Melissa

I think you should go for it for all the reasons mentioned by the brillant people above. ^ Good luck!

As for 'gaydar', I can't really comment becuase mine is non-existent. XP

20. LyraLissa

*gasp* Oh, tragedy! Ok, not really...
    Gaydar is a bit useful, though. Luckily not a problem on this site, 'cause there's this useful little "Orientation:" thingie. :wink:
    I must admit, however, my gaydar lets me down from time to time. Bloody frustrating! :slight_smile:
    ~Hugs, Lyra