1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutter.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by amberger, Feb 22, 2009.

1. amberger

My girlfriend cuts herself.i used to cut myself, I've been on drugs and alcohol. so i know what it's like. But i can't stand that she does it. She said she'd quit if i did. And i did. But she still slips up sometimes. I also think she might be taking pills. She said shes straight edge, so i know it's not drugs or anything. But i'm worried. How can i get her to stop?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight edgers don't cut. :slight_smile:

About all you can do is offer her an outlet. Tell her anytime she feels like cutting, she should contact you. After all, cutting is a physical outlet with an emotional cause. If you can get her to talk to you about what she's feeling, that might be cathartic enough to remove the need for her to cut.

Lex

3. SirBoobalot

You've quit cutting, so you know what it's like - it's hard. If she's doing it all the time, I can understand your being frustrated; but if it really just slipping up, have patience with her. Kicking an addiction is one of the hardest tasks there is - I quit over two years ago now, and god knows I still cock up occasionally.

Don't get so upset with it that you lose sight of what it's like for her. *hug*

4. Eleanor Rigby

I used to cut myself too when I was younger (and to scratch myself until I bleed too). I agree with Lex's comment, but it might not be enought . I think it might be helpful to help her find something she can do instead of hurting herself. Sport could help to let anger or/and emotions go out. Doing something creative can be helpful to : drawing, painting, anything that help her to express her pain another way.
    You should be aware that she might need some extra help and that you may be too close to her to help her on her issues, even if your support is really a good thing. You can encourage her to see someone who can help her, like a psychologist for exemple.
    I have no idea what your girlfriend's issues are, but it really helped me a lot to see someone, and I did for serveral years.