1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in the middle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rygirl, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Rygirl

I don't know what to do, my family is falling apart around me. My parent can't even have a conversation without it turning into an arugment, or without dreging up bad memories which lead to an argument. And although I try to bridge the gap, nothing seems to cool the hostilities. Like today I tried to start a conversation with my dad about a music course that I did for the past three days and ask if I could do another in the summer, my mum started shouting at my dad saying that he was happy to sit on his arse and let her do all the work tidying up after dinner, she even said 'I hope you had a nice conversation with your daughter whilst I've been working so hard', and then she went on to say that he was always happy to sit down and watch T.V. whilst she did all the work around the house and that he was lazy.
    So many times she has threatened to walk out and once she actually left for the night and stayed at her sisters. And I can't cope with this this year, I have too much at stake at school with my A levels for them to screw it up with their arguments, I feel like I'm always walking on eggshells around my mum, because I never know when she is going to errupt. She threatens to leave so much that sometimes I wish she would so I don't have to deal with all the added stress of being around her. I know that makes me sound like a horrible person, it makes me feel like a horrible person too, but I can't stop it from being true. I've often thought about collecting all of my savings and getting a place of my own so I can get away from the both of them, because I know that none of my friends at school would take me in, and any other friends I have that would are too far away to help.
    I really don't know what to do any more, I have so much at stake at school, if I mess this year up I can kiss goodbye to any thoughts about university, and the thought of that breaks my heart.

I'm sorry about this, I just needed to vent somewhere.

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Perhaps you should try and move out. Or do the unthinkably difficult...

End her ceaseless quarreling by callin her on her own bitchyness. Seriously...Tell her if that if she continues to be rude and obnoxious then perhaps she needs to leave. Tell her that she is ruining her childs future with her tyrannical tirades. Tell her to go, if she says shes goin to do it then freggin do it but do it soon so that your suffering ends.

That's what I'd do, regardless of her being my mother or not.

I usually take the initiative in these situations and I personally have disowned my father from my family. Do it if you have to. Don't sacrafice YOUR future for their endless bickering and tantrums. Its' NOT your fault they cannot act civilized, especially around their own daughter.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well it is obvious that your parents marriage is in a world of trouble. We carry on way too long for the sake of our children. The problem is its our children who are suffering when things get really bad! So I would simply tell your parents that you can see that they are having problems and that you want the two of them to be happy whether together or APART! Either they should separate or get some counseling because all the fighting in the household is not doing anybody any good. Just be honest with them about how you feel.

4. Chronocide

I went through the same with my father. The only answer I found was to call them on they're bullshit, like The Enigma said. It may be difficult, but it will show them that you are in fact a person, rather than a living, breathing object to be passively abused.

5. Rygirl

The problem is that I know they are happy together. I try to suggest that they do something together, like take up ballroom dancing, they did it before and they enjoyed it, but my dad just said that mum would blame him for all the mistakes and that ended the conversation. I've never seen them this at odds with each other.

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Then tell mom to shut her mouth. Sorry if that sounds harsh but she should stop blaming every problem she HAD (past tense) in her life on him. So he doesn't take out the garbage much, doesn't clean house, cook, and other stuff like that...Then perhaps she needs to MAKE him get off his butt and do it then in a more PRODUCTIVE manner.

What's happened in the past, stays in the past. Really. Nothing can EVER be done to change what has already transpired.