1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can coming out not be a big deal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvermind, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Silvermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm only out to my four friends, and really think I should come out to at least my family, but I don't want them to make a big deal about it. Is there any way that I can make my coming out to my family just... normal?

2. Sleepwalker Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just read in another post the idea of wearing a pride bracelet. People may ask you why you wear it, or even simpler it would be if they just ask "are you lesbian or something?"

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course! Close your eyes and vision this! You're at the dinner table with the fam talking and what not and then when there's a short moment of silence just say I'm gay and then they'll tell you it's okay and give you lots of hugs and kisses and oh it'll be so lovely!

4. afgirl

Well, it depends on a lot of variables, but for the average family, yes, I believe it's going to be a big deal. I came out to my children about four months ago, and it's still not something they've accepted. Everyone handles things differently, though.

5. Fromslahen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While you can try not to make it a big deal, I agree that whether or not it's taken like that is really up to your family. If they feel like they need to talk about it to get their heads around it, accommodate them but just make it clear that you don't want to make a big deal out of it
    Just remember that even while they accept it, it can still come as a bit of a shock

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi!

I think it really depends on your family, but if you don't want it to be a big deal then maybe just find a way to bring it up in a conversation? Say, if you turned the topic towards the LGBTQ+ community or a celebrity that belongs to it or something? I personally don't like how coming out is always made out to be a huge thing, I mean, sure, it is for some people and that's cool, good for them, but if you don't want it to be a big deal then there's no reason it should be. In any event, I wish you luck!

7. A Mindful Wolf

I just casually mentioned that I went to a gay club with a friend. My Mom was like "why did you go to a gay bar? Are you gay?"
    I was like "..."
    "Oh".

8. LRyuzaki3

Yes!!! coming out can be nothing. It depends on your situation and who you are coming out to.