1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via text?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bryan, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Bryan

Hi-
    Ok, so I wanted to come out to some of my friends, but I have a little trouble doing it in person. I am very awkward about it. Is it a bad idea to come out via text message??

2. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I came out to everyone important via text/email. If you have trouble saying it, then it might be a good route.

3. ilovelife

Hello there, I'm not sure if it's a bad idea, but I only came out to like a few people in person, and the rest were through text messages haha. So, it worked just fine for me. Just maybe try one first to see if you like it and then figure out how you wanna come out to the rest of your friends. :]

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a possibility, depending on how close you are and how they'd feel about it (some people might feel insulted that you're telling them in a way that seems so casual and off-hand). If you're not comfortable saying it in person, a letter's often a good middle ground.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the others have said, not necessarily. Others have come out over text. When you come out, you have to be comfortable. There is no right wrong way to come out. Come out in the way that works best for you.

6. everybodysxfool

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i told a friend through text once. there's nothing wrong with it. only bad thing is texting all that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

good luck!

7. sdc91

IM would probably be better than text. Unless you want a paper trail that they can show everyone else... or maybe their phone isn't with them or they're in the middle of something.

Plus then you get an instant response.

8. DexterMorgan

I told some of my friends that way, they were fine.

9. Bryan

hmm... thanks for the advice. Well... I am going to send her an email now. i'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

10. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my cousin over IM, lol...

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Text is probably my least favorite option. I wouldn't say never do it that way, but it has a lot against it.

* It's quite impersonal.
    * Due to the nature of texting, everything tends to be reduced to its barest essentials, which strips away a lot of shades of meaning. So rather than explaining how you feel, and how difficult this is, it often reads "OMFG I LIKE GUYZ LOL OK BYEZ".
    * Similarly, you won't get a good feel how they've taken the news via return text. "OMG NO WAYS".
    * Unlike any other method, the target is most likely to be with other people (but not you) when they find out. So chances are that anyone they know in the general vicinity will find out, as well.

You could use that other function on the phone. The one that enables you to actually speak to the person. :slight_smile: Of course, that's pretty nerve-wracking, too. If that's too daunting, I'd suggest an e-mail or IM. And in each case, explain yourself. What are you feeling? Who else knows? Who else do you NOT want to know? And thank them for being a kick-ass friend.

Lex

12. kettleoffish

I did that for one of my closer friends, who doesn't go to my school so didn't find out when I was outed a few years ago (that wasn't a fun few years).

it pretty much went like this:

Me: can you keep a secret?
    Her: yeah, sure, what?
    Me: I'm gay

Pressing send for the last message wasn't easy, but I'm extremely glad I did it.

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

-_- I just get to this topic and prepare my reply and you pretty much said everything I was going to. But yes, don't forget your phone was actually invented to all you to SPEAK to other people. And I would be hella pissed if Iwas family or a friend and you texted me "I like penis!" instead of just telling me. Why? Becuz I'd have to call you and see whats wrong with you...like why couldn't you just tell me? Were you embarassed? Ashamed of me? Think I'd think less of you? I certainly would if you texted me.

You might as well get your mother a vacuum for mothers day.