1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idea for telling dat

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by diegon3, Feb 22, 2009.

1. diegon3

My family is hispanic and catholic so der view it not the most liberal i already told my sis and my mom (she still doesn't believe i know what i want) and a few friends
    next up is my brother (i already know how to tell him)
    but my plan to tell my dad is very thought out and i need some opinions:

a few weeks before i leave to college this summer since i want to tell my dad
    "dad i need to tell u something bout me but only if ur completely sure u want to know becuase i dont want to leave here and let u have standards for me that i will not be able to meet and if u want to know talk to me calmly and with an open mind a few days before i leave"

how does that sound?:icon_sad:

2. Jim1454

Well...

Without knowing your dad, I'm not sure how he'd react to that. Telling someone that they need to be calm usually causes them to be anything BUT calm. And regardless of whether he promises to be calm or not, if this is going to really upset him or make him angry, then he's not likely going to keep that promise.

It's great that your mom and siblings know. It's probably only fair that your dad know as well. Your other family members shouldn't be expected to keep that secret for you.

Telling him when he has a few days to talk to you about it is probably best. Don't tell him as you're getting on the train or something - that's not fair either.

Good luck - however you decide to do it!