1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by StrataScribe, Feb 22, 2009.

1. StrataScribe

I’m at a complete loss right now and am about to throw in the towel and just give up on life all together. I’ve been trying to talk to my aunt for the past week or so, wanting to come out to her. Well that's a lie, I've wanted to tell her for years now but it's only recently that I've actually contemplated doing it. I know she’d be accepting and would be the best person to have on my side. The thing is, every time I try to bring it up in conversation - that I’ve got something to tell her - I choke and cave in to the pressure and ignore my strong desire to tell her. I’ve had several incidents, including the one I just had literally minutes ago, where I’m sitting right in front of her as she’s talking about god knows what and all I hear is the little voice inside my head, cheering me on. I form the words in my head, I calm myself, I tell myself everything will be okay, I open my mouth and....freeze. I nod and agree with whatever it was she was talking about and smile as though nothing’s wrong. Time goes on and I’m sitting there feeling like shit and all the while she has no clue I’m not listening anymore. All I want to do is crawl into some dark corner and die.

I’ve cried myself to sleep practically every night for the past few weeks and I can’t handle it any longer. I just want someone to know the truth. To know me for who I really am. And to tell me that it's ok, that they still love me.

I try not to think about it all day but the moment she gets home from work (I live with her), my brain goes on overdrive. And all I can do is surmise how she’ll react, what she’ll say, what I’ll say....I just can’t live like this anymore. I’ve allowed my fear to consume my live. I’m essentially a hermit and the one friend I do have, I’m terrified to be honest with. I hate myself for not telling her. I hate myself for letting my depression ruin my life. And right now I hate her for being such a good person (it would probably be easier if she was a bitch, at least then I wouldn’t care so much what she thought).

What the hell is wrong with me? I thought I was ready to tell her but I just can't get the words out. How do I tell her? What do I say? A part of my problem is that I know how random and left field it’s going to be for her. I really don’t think she’s ever suspected that I’m gay and to come out and say it to her.....I dunno, it’s just weird....

Sorry, I just needed to vent......

And I don't really hate her, I'm just upset and disappointed with myself.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be upset, and don't be disappointed with yourself, that's the first advice I have to give. Secondly Strata, I know where your coming from, it's difficult to tell the people you love, even if you know they'll be fine with it, that you're gay. I didn't tell my own aunt who is practically open to everything (she has gay neighbours pretty much on all sides of her house coincidentally) until three years after I came out to myself. The fact of the matter is, the people we love the most, who aren't our parents, are the ones we have most trouble with (again aside from telling the 'rents) because despite knowing they'll be fine with it, we still have this little worry that puts up a barricade in front of us. Just take your time, and although I know you're having problems with it, just relax. You'll tell her when you decide to and if you can't wait then don't prepare yourself just go right up to her and say "[insert name] I'm gay." and it'll be done. That way you don't psych yourself out which I think might be the other reason you're having a problem with it.

I wish you lots of luck and seriously don't worry about it. It will happen when it happens, there's no reason for you to hurt yourself or cry. :slight_smile: Btw you're actually a fellow Ontarian (I'm in London/St. Thomas) so hence I care for you even more :slight_smile:

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Just spit it out for God sakes and stop berrating yourself. It's not that hard that you must think about suicide and other self mutalation techniques. Honestly, she probably already suspects or knows if she has lived with you a while, and more so if she raised you. If you're having problems SAYING it, write it down on a notecard and give it to her. Do something. What's there to fear?

But honestly, just say it. Not doing something will hurt you more than saying it anyway.

4. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

Hey Strata, Coming out is one of the hardest things that we have to do. Just tonight I sat for hours drafting a letter to one of my friends. Maybe since you can't get the words to come out, which was my problem too, drafting a letter to give your aunt would help you bring the news to her. I know exactly what you are feeling. I cried myself to sleep everynight last week. Venting on here helps so much, so let it flow! See if writing a letter works. Even if you don't give it to your aunt. Maybe it will better organize the thoughts that run all over the place just when you go to tell her. Sleep well tonight buddy.

5. Bryan44

Enigma, is very blunt..but in a way he has the right idea. You really want to tell your aunt, and it obviously is difficult for you. All you need is like a conversation opener..For instance.." aunt x, have i been acting different lately?..." and then you could start to talk to her openly.

Nothing is wrong with you. This is a normal feeling, being scared is normal, not knowing what to do is normal..Take a deep breath.. Everything will work out, and once you tell her you can start enjoying your life again.

Good luck. (*hug*)

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Lets start off with (*hug*)

Coming out is hard and sometimes it takes a few tries before you are able to come out to someone, be it a friend, or a family member. But failing to come out is never a reason to throw in the towel and to give up on life.

Coming out in person can be really hard especially (and going according to your out status) if your aunt is the first person to whom you want to come out to. But you will find that once you have come out to the first person that it will get somewhat easier. Have you tried coming out to a best or very good friend? Often it is easier to come out to a friend first before coming out to someone in the family. Maybe you need your first coming out experience before being able to take that step to come out to your aunt or another family member. Give it a thought.

That said, you know your aunt would be accepting and supportive. You know the best way to approach her. Perhaps what could also help you is writing a letter. A lot of people have difficulties in coming out it person, which is totally fine. Maybe the letter route would be something to consider. Write everything down what you want to say to her. Writing it all out, allows you to organize your thoughts and might even help you in taking that little step that has been missing this far.

Once you have done that create a mental check list:
    - She is supportive and accepting - check!
    - Timing/she is not busy at the moment - check!
    - I know what I want to say - check!
    - I have got the letter, which I can give her at any time while I approach her - check!
    - I know everything will be okay - check!
    - I know she will continue to love me - check!
    - Deep breath - check!

Now, even if it happens again, which is completely normal, just give her the letter then, and say, "I have something for you that I would like you to read." Give it to her, and either wait beside her or leave the room and come back in a few minutes. While you are doing that, remember to take deep breaths and to keep breathing. Keep telling yourself "It is going to be okay."

Don't be hard on yourself. There is no reason to feel the way you feel right now. You are trying to take a huge step. You are trying to overcome something that is difficult. Be proud of yourself for trying it. Every time you try, you get closer to it, and you will be able to say it.

Soon enough she will get to know the real you. (*hug*)

7. StrataScribe

I hear what you're all saying and I get that feeling like this is normal and nothing is wrong with me...but personally, I feel like writing a letter is too impersonal. Maybe if she was just another friend a letter would be ok, but right now she's my only friend, my best friend. I don't have any one else to tell. I'm a loner. And I feel like I owe it to her to be honest and upfront - in person. I dunno. I just hate everything right now. And it's probably not a good idea for me to decide on anything at the moment...

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember though that you do not have to give the letter. But writing it all out might just help you to organize your thoughts and have a positive effect on you in that, you might be less nervous and the chances of 'freezing up' are reduced. It does sound that you are ready to come out and to forward with your life.

Absolutely you do not have to decide on anything at the moment. Take a break, and after a few days or so, perhaps think about how you could best approach it. How you would feel comfortable in telling her.

What might also help you, maybe try finding a LGBT support group in your area that you could join. Being part of a LGBT group or having regular contact with other LGBT members can be a confidence booster. It could definitely help you in becoming more comfortable.

Take your time. Things have a way of working out.

9. StrataScribe

Joining a LGBT support group unfortunately isn't an option at the moment :frowning2:
    I would love to join one but the closest group that caters to my age group (that i know of) is well over an hours drive away in a completely different city...

I've searched and searched online for local groups but with little luck. The only ones are for teens and my local university's group is pretty...well, shit. Almost non-existant, really. (I should know, I want to that very university and the LGBT community just wasn't there.)

#9 StrataScribe, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. 3104

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have only skimmed over what other people have said, so forgive me if this is repeated, but in terms of wanting to come out to your aunt, I know what you mean by you want it done in person: Not via a printer or graphite. I am the same way. Even the phone seems too distant to me. The first person I told this past summer was my little brother, and boy was I scared. In order to make him approach me about the issue one evening, I told him over the phone earlier that day that I wanted to speak with him about something later that evening. And then when I got home that night, I never even gave a hint that I had wanted to say anything to him in the first place until he brought it up himself. Then we sat down in his room just the two of us. You can imagine what happened next. I followed a similar approach with my parents.

You probably dont care too much about what I just said (I probably wrote it down so I could collect my own thoughts or find some meaning with what I did) but I guess what I realized is if you 'prepare' the people you love ahead of time, and then SIT THEM DOWN in a private situation, then they might understand that what you are about to say is very important and requires thier upmost attention and empathy. In other words, you did not put them in that situation to tell them you want pizza for dinner.

Maybe this helps. I dunno.

11. Ajax

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    strata - like asteroid said maybe you should just write the letter. you don't have to give it to her, but it might help you feel less bad.

also i think coming out is easier if it just comes up in conversation, rather than just blurting it out. so create opportunities where that might happen. take her along to see 'Milk'. if you don't often see movies with her, the mere fact that you are taking her there will prepare her. you will probably talk about it afterwards, and she might even ask you. even if you don't actually tell her at the end it starts to sow the seed. alternatively you could leave a copy of attitude or another gay magazine somewhere she will see it. taking small steps like that, where you don't actually say anything, might be easier than taking the plunge in one big go, if you are reluctant to do that.

the other option is rather than thinking about it you could always just do it now. thinking about it can paralyse us with fear. sometimes the best approach is to do stuff without thinking. you could walk straight to her now and say "i've got something to tell you". once you've said that you kind of give yourself no choice but to say something.

even if you don't want to do it now, you could at least focus on getting up the courage to say "i've got something to say" rather than "i'm gay".

but maybe the easiest thing is to do it without planning it too much. planning something builds it up and makes it intimidating. just do it. it won't be perfect and it will be messy but it will be done.

just a few random thoughts on a monday night, HTH

good luck!
    andrew

12. EM68

Everyone has give you some great advice already. I would suggest writing a letter to your aunt and its up to you on whether or not you want to give it to her. Yesterday, I came out to my parents via a letter. I wrote the letter in late November. I found it to be very cathartic. Every time I felt depressed in not telling them, I would read the letter and it helped. When the time comes to tell her you will know. Until then take a deep breath! What you are going through is normal and remember you are never alone. (*hug*)

13. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Do you think that because you view your aunt as your only friend, your best friend, that you are afriad to tell her because your afriad of loosing her?

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd echo the advice given several times earlier in the thread: try writing down what you want to say. It'll clear your mind, and sometimes just writing down "I'm gay" can do miracles.
    You don't ever have to give it to anyone. I have a beautiful and heart-wrenching (at least I like to think it is) letter on my hard disk, that I didn't use when coming out, and might never use at all. It was a coming out of sorts to myself though.

And it can be hard to tell people in person. Especially if you try to have a prewritten dialogue in your head, the fear of things turning out differently can be numbing. Leaving a letter can be easier in that regard. Or you have to let go of your fears and trust you're able to answer any questions they might have.

15. Jim1454

I think we all struggle with this - especially the first time. It's VERY HARD!

And like you, I wonder how the whole conversation will play out. But you can't plan it out and expect it to happen exactly as you want it to - including the 'intro' or the openning that you need to start the conversation in that direction.

So start with - "I have something really important to tell you."

Every one of those words are ones that you've used before. None of them are unusual. You can say those words without any issue. That gets the person's attention and gets them ready for something 'heavy'.

And then, when you carry on and say "I'm gay." it's really not that big a deal. They'll be glad that you don't have cancer, or didn't wrap their car around a light post on the way home, or kill their cat. You're just gay.

You can follow up with all the other things that you'd like to tell them - like how much you appreciate them, how nervous you've been to tell them, how you've been struggling with this for a long time, etc...

Good luck. It isn't easy, but it's worth it.