1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New school, New life, Can I Trust Anyone??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by renardjouerbass, Apr 19, 2016.

1. renardjouerbass

I'm going to a new school next year. Awesome! 9th grade, can't wait! Only a few of my friends from my old school are going, as well (they are supportive of my sexuality and I know they wouldn't tell anyone anything about it without telling me first). I really want to be open about my sexuality at my new school, but I am afraid it will end up like it did at my current school (frequently called a 'fag', made fun of, and generally put down by homophobic kids and their followers). So I am wondering if I should be open about it at my new school and when I should tell people about my sexuality. I'm just afraid people will make fun of me through all of high school and I may not be able to take it. I've almost cut myself multiple times over the bullying at my school and I fear something worse will happen if this torment lasts till senior year at my new school. However, coming out just lifts a massive weight off my shoulders, y'know?

Should I come out? If so, when?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :thumbsup:

2. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's great that you're confident in your sexuality and have friends to talk to about it. I know when I was starting high school, I still didn't know what my sexual orientation was, so I didn't have the option of coming out. Looking back even though it was only two years ago, I wish I had known because I think I would've been confident in coming out. That being said a lot can happen in a year or two, I went from being a conformist kiss ass to an independent loner at my school which I love about myself. If I were you, I would strongly consider being out and proud because you're going to make new friends and it'll just be even harder to come out to them the longer you wait. I wish I had known about this site and known I was gay at your age because I honestly believe my life would be more simple and less stressful. With all this being said, don't feel pressured to come out. If you want to keep your sexuality private that's great! Just don't lie to cover it up. I hope this helped! Sorry for going all over the place. I had so much to say, and I had no clue where to start.

3. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

If I were you, at first I wouldn't say anything, I 'd observe a little bit how people are and then I'd act about it. Some of your friends will be there so you will have support.

But it's your life and your privacy, you know. You don't have to declare you are gay if you don't feel like it. I've never been told "hey, I'm straight" by a new acquaintance, so why do we have to do it? Very young people at school are cruel, so I wouldn't take the risk of coming out if I wouldn't be sure that it would be "ok". But this is just me, my premise is to make life as less complicated as possible.

Hope everything goes well with you :slight_smile: