1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out in a New Place

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by packtorce52, Apr 20, 2016.

1. packtorce52

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know I'm a lesbian but I've only come out to two people: my brother and a good friend. I'm still waiting for that right time to come out to my parents. I'm also moving to a new town in a few weeks and want to start fresh. I don't know anyone where I'm going but want to be true to myself and openly express my sexuality. But I'm worried how my future roommates and co-workers will respond to me being a lesbian. What should I do about coming out to those around me and opening up so I can truly be happy?

2. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the last 4 years I've moved to different countries 3 times. My advise is to come out to your new room-mates, as you have the right to feel comfortable at your own house, even if you share it. I don't mean presenting yourself as I am XX and I'm lesbian, but you know, make it natural. If it comes up in the conversation you can just drop it or appear one day with a girl xD.

At work... I usually don't say anything until I figure out who can I trust, maybe it's not the best way to handle it, but... That's me.

3. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you really wanted to get it out there from the get go you could wear an LGBT wrist band.

But just act naturally as you normally would around people you're out to. And if the topic ever becomes "what guys are hot?" Just say "Well actually I'm more of a Megan Fox kind of girl". They'll get the message without you having to force it on them. Because at the end of the day, if a straight person doesn't need to announce their sexuality, why do you?