1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (AKA what have I done!!!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Filip, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, perhaps this doesn't need its own thread, but I'm seriously a bit confused right now and I need a bit of venting space. And venting to myself just isn't the same...

I'm not sure if what I did was the biggest mistake I could make, or just a necessary step.

Yesterday, I got a mail frrom the one gay guy I'm out to, whether I'd be up for going to a gay party. I'm not sure whether to accept or not (that is, I will probably accept and chicken out at the last moment, I know myself enough for that). However, still feeling good about my recent coming out, I sort of felt like I could try giving a subtle clue to my mother about it...

So I mentioned to my mother that I was invited by my friend to go to a gay party.
    I'm not sure what posessed me to do this, but I thought it was a great idea to gouge her reaction. And it would leave me with plausible deniability. After all, being invited to go doesn't prove anything...

However, what I got was the loudest "WHAT?!" I've ever heard. I swear I was almost thrown backwards physically. Cue her asking why I would want to do that, and what would happen if people saw me there and whatever posessed him to drag me into this. And mainly a lot of whys and hows...
    I mean, I didn't expect her to yell "go for it!", but not this negativity bordering on fear. At most a bit of amusement at what my wacky friends are asking this time. I brushed it off, saying I just mentioned it for laughs, but I swear she's looking at me differently since I mentioned it. And asking me if I'm feeling allright if I look only slightly elsewhere but her eyes when we're talking.

I'm not sure what to think right now. Should I have not told her? Did she already suspect and have I fed her doubts? And why did I let my post-first-coming-out happiness get the best of me?
    I mean, I really want to see this as a good thing. The first step to my coming out, but I'm having a really hard time not to spend the entire day shivering with panic in a corner...
    Strange thing is: I know what you guys are going to say: that it was a good thing, and that I should try and get her used to the thought and eventually come out. But at the moment I'm just feeling too bad about myself to do just that...

2. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Filip, I guess you're going to hear that coming out to your parents is the hardest thing to do. Since I never did and have only come out to my wife and a couple of friends years ago, I'm no expert. I do know that when you get the nerve up to tell someone something and they blow up at you before you're finished, as in your case, it tends to drive you back deeper into the proverbial closet. Maybe it makes you stronger, maybe not. Guess you just have to get back up and keep trying to move forward, with love and patience. Hope that helps a small bit. I'm thinking about you.....walk Proud

3. LyraLissa

(*hug*) Yikes...
    Well, I won't be predictable and say it was good, but it has to happen sometime- and on your own terms is always best.
    Were I you (which, obviously, I'm not,) I would try to move on from there- reassure her, but not by lying. Think about what you could say that would get rid of her doubts and misconceptions... And, if you want to talk about ways to come out to her/deal with her attitude, message me- I've been there, done that, and glad to help.
    ~Hugs, Lyra

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it's a good thing. Not necessarily because it's a "first step", but because it was an ideal way to test the waters. You now know what type of reaction you might have expected had you simply said "I'm gay". So you spared yourself that onslaught. And yeah, you've planted the seed. Give it time to grow. It may be a week, a month, a year. However long it takes to grow, let it grow.

Lex

5. olides84

Yay, awesome to see someone else from Belgium on EC :smilewave

Yeah I agree that you've planted the idea into your mom's brain - and got the reaction that tells you coming out to her is gonna have some difficulties - that's a good thing. Now I think you should go to this party. Then the next conversation you have with her you can say you went to the party. And then if she starts talking about how sick it is, or how they are gonna recruit you or influence you to be gay, then you can respond in rational statements like 'no, they are just like everyone else' and 'no, people are born gay they aren't changed.'

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the input, all.
    For the time being, it seems she has decided to drop it. No references to it whatsoever.

The strangest thing is my brother's reaction yesterday, though. I mentioned her reaction to him (he doesn't know I'm gay, but he doesn't have those preconceptions about gay parties either. In fact, he has quite a few straight friends that like to go to them).
    His reaction was: "well, sometimes you suck at being subtle!"

Which makes me think he has his suspicions, but is cool about it.

I think I might try telling him next weekend when we're alone at home...

#6 Filip, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, hi to you too. Nice to know I'm not the only Belgian here...

Yeah, I don't think I'll go, unless my friend drags me around to it. And he knows me enough to do just that...

I don't think she really has deep-seated anti-gay sentiments, though. She's a teacher, and is a sort of contact person for students in trouble. When she mentions students that are gay or who later turned out to be gay, it's never with any derogatory remarks or anything.

It might just be "not in my backyard" syndrome. Or perhaps she's just so used to having students come to her with it as a problem that she's afraid I might be in anguish too.

I feel a bit guilty about freaking out last night and posting all of this. In the light of morning, it seems less of an issue than it was yesterday evening... Though Lex is right. The seed is planted, and now I just have to give it a few months at least to mature.

8. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

I agree with Lex as well. And I'm glad to see that in a new days light the dust has settled and you are ready to move on. You shouldnt feel guilty about any of your posts though. It was obviously a concern of yours and the worst thing is to bottle it up inside. So now you vented and also have a new slate for a new day.

Good luck if you sit down and tell your brother. I hope it goes well with him. It sounds like he isn't really bothered by any slight sign you have given.

#8 LostInNJ, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I would say give her time. The reaction isnt as bad as you think. She is more concerned probably about your well being. Stereotypes of gay men as skanks and only wanting to get in your pants might have fueled that reaction.

Over time she'll accept you. Again as others mentioned coming out to your parents is hard to do. I have yet to make that step.

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Give her time; go to the party.

If you're afraid of being outted or seen with other gay people then you likely haven't accepted yourself as you are and in that case this could be a great chance to see what the wonderful world of homosexuality can offer you...perhaps someone will help you with your problems. :slight_smile: Perhaps someone else has gone through the same hassle and stresses. :slight_smile:

Go! Iwish I got an invite to a homo party too. :frowning2: