1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i being selfish?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cosima1, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Cosima1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    All that i know is that i want to date women. Im not sure if I'm lesbian, bisexual or just curious but it never leaves my head. I feel like there has been a glass wall in-between me and my family for a year now since i have been feeling this way. I want to talk to them about it so i can be myself but i know how much it will hurt them, they will still support me but i know it will be so heartbreaking for them. Since i don't know for sure.. it feels like i have to wait until i know before before i come out, because what if i break their hearts for no reason? I just wish it wasn't constantly on my mind. Any advice?

2. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to wait, do so. You can think about your sexuality, meet some people, try speed dating etc. If you need this to be sure. I didn't. I observed things like this "ok, I'd like to date him. I'd like to date her. Sex with both sexes is ok." I was sure before I dated both sexes.

The question is why you want to wait before you're sure. Why it would break their hearts?

Suppressing yourself and worrying about your family's happiness (if you will identify you're non-het) will rather make you unhappy. Think about yourself first. Parents make plans for children, they have their own definition of happiness (it's the same for het people too) which don't have to sit well with their children. Usually the child goes their own way because it's their own life they are living. It's normal that children go their own way. It's called growing up. The family should adapt. If they won't they are selfish. Not you. You just live your life.

#2 Kiran, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016