1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalized homophobia - should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PennyT, Apr 23, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that I have internalized homophobia. I've explored this in different threads, and a lot of people have told me that I maybe should get an LGBT-specialized therapist. However, I'm in college and have no money. My school offers free therapy, but I go to a catholic school, so that's hit or miss. I think that my mom would pay for therapy if I asked, but I don't know how to ask without telling her that I'm probably gay. In telling my mom, I'd also have to tell my dad and maybe all my sisters, and I'm not sure that I can deal with that right now. My mom tries to be open minded about this sort of thing, but my dad doesn't like talking about it. None of my family is the "you're going to hell" type, but I don't know how supportive they'll be. But I don't know how deal with my own problems about accepting myself, and therapy is the only option I can see.

Advice?

2. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it would be worth looking into the policies and prices for therapy for students in your area. Surely they can't just charge the same price for teenagers as they can adults? It might be worth it to do some research. If you can't find any suitable therapy groups, you still have a few options:

1) Come out to your family
    2) Keep it to yourself a while longer
    3) Get a part-time job and pay for therapy yourself
    4) Like you said, get your parents to pay and say it's for something like anxiety or something that relates to your situation.
    5) Go to the free therapy in the Catholic school.
    6) Go online and find free resources designed to help people in your situation.

Hopefully at least one option sounds appealing? Best of luck.

#2 ChillPenguin, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016