1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just broke up with boyfriend because I´m gay, desperately need support

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Laura27, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don´t know how to feel.

Actually, I feel just terrible, so terrible.

I am a lesbian. I´ve known since I was little, but I have repressed and ignored it, hoping it would go away.

I have always had problems in this relationship. Doubts, problems with sex, problems with romance. I felt not in place. I have been out as gay before, but because of trouble I started doubting myself and got back into the closet.

I´ve been with this man for three years now. I´ve told him from the very beginning that I had problems with my sexuality, that I preferred women but did not mind men. And the longer I was in that relationship, the more I started longing for women. It was very hard to realize it, to admit to myself that I did not like men as much as I thought I did. I have always been honest with him, but today I asked him to come over so I could tell him how I really felt. It ended up in us breaking up, mutually, it was five hours of staring at his teary eyes, him telling me that he loved me no matter what, him hugging me tightly, not wanting to let go. He has been my best friend for so long. He always supported me.

I love this man, I so, so love this man, I don´t want to cause him pain.

So sorry for my rambling, he just left and I want to go through with this, I really am gay, but I feel so horrible for making him feel horrible.

I need some support, someone telling me I am doing the right thing. Because it does not feel right at this moment. I have made the mistake of taking back my words and decisions before.

2. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You definitely did the right thing. You're free now. You can live a life you want to live and don't have to live a lie. I know the breakup sucks. At the very least you broke up with him before you were married, or even had children because breaking up then would be even harder.

You need to believe that this was a good thing for him too. Now he can find someone that loves him just as much as he loves them. Have you ever heard the saying "You have to be cruel to be kind"? It may feel like the end of the world now, but time is a healer. It will get better.

But the breakup doesn't mean you have to stay away from each other. You can still be really close friends. And who knows? You might be able to help each other find a partner in the future.

But if you truly care for him like you say, don't his heartbreak be for nothing. Let both of yourselves be happy for years to come. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

3. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This helps a lot, thank you so much. Especially the last bit you said. I won´t let the heartbreak be for nothing, I want us both to be happy in the long run and we cannot be like that if we stay together, even if I at the moment feel horrible. And we´re going to stay close friends. The thought of the possibility of friendship makes it bearable. Thank you.

4. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

I don't have much to add on to what ChillPenguin said, but you did do the right thing.

5. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    you did the right thing if you ask me. you shouldnt lie to yourself and repress your feelings. Im sure you'll find a lovely girl in the future :slight_smile:. you could def. still be friends with him

6. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, the more I read it the better. <3

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2016 at 01:37 AM ----------

Thank you, I am sure I could too, although I feel sick and depressed today. The wheather doesn´t help much either (cats and dogs! And I need to cycle through it later today...).

7. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I´m just gonna use this thread to vent a little bit. I am hurting, I look and feel like absolute sh*t, but I think it´s a good kind of hurting. It´s weird. I feel relieved, of some sort, that I have said this, and I think I just need some distance to let it sink in. Tomorrow it´s kingsnight in the Netherlands and I was originally planning to go be together with some shared (!!!) friends and him but I guess I am just going to be home to stare at the wall and listen to sad (Dutch?) music.

We are still in touch and he is telling me again and again that he wants to stay together. We are meeting up tomorrow to talk about it some more, I hope I then still feel as strong as I feel now.

Thank you for the replies, I have no nonshared, neutral friends who live in the city who I can talk to about this, all of my friends here would probably be surprised that we broke up in the first place.

#7 Laura27, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I strongly agree with what ChillPenguin and the others said, I think you definitely did the right thing! I just wanted to comment on this because your situation reminded me of a youtuber who recently came out as lesbian. I don't know if this would help but the story she tells is kind of similar to yours. Her name is Ingrid Nilsen. If you're interested you could just look for her channel and watch her coming out video.
    Sorry if you think that's really stupid!

9. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not think that is stupid at all, I´ve watched that exact video many times when I doubted myself. I knew her before (I follow a lot of make-up/lifestyle/fashion channels) but I really got into her channel after she posted that video! In fact, I have watched that video yesterday, before I decided to open up about all this to my boyfriend.

She talks about repression, shame, self-doubt, dating men, having had encounters with women in between her longterm relationships, not being able to give herself fully to men but not breaking up since there are ´worse things in the world´. That is me. That is the situation where I am in. I had done all those things.

I am so glad that you brought this up because this video has been strengthening, reassuring and encouraging to me in my situation. The main doubt that I had regarding all this was that I was bisexual after all because I was able to get through with it and were just doomed to feel uneasy my whole life. But her video made me realize that I have been manipulating myself all this time to stay. And that there are others that have been there before. And that I am who I am, regardless of dating history.

Okay, I am rambling, bottom line: thank you so much for bringing this up! :slight_smile:

Edit: perhaps I should show this video to my boyfriend tomorrow.

#9 Laura27, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, good, I'm glad!

There are a few coming out videos on youtube that I have watched over and over when I was questioning, and I always found them really helpful. I think even though nowadays, it's relatively easy to find people on the internet, like on this forum, who are understanding or have been in a similar situation, it's still nice to actually see someone's face as they tell their story to an audience.
    I really like Ingrid's video because it's so obvious that she's so relieved and that she's so much happier now than she was before. I think that's a good thing to keep in mind - that you can be so happy if you only allow yourself to be who you truly are.

Your (ex?)boyfriend sounds pretty nice, so if you think it would help, sure, show him the video. It's a difficult situation for both of you but from what you're saying it sounds like he's quite understanding and wants to support you.

11. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just making sure he doesn't guilt you into getting back with him. It's just a matter of time before he starts to accept that you're not meant to be together.

Hope it's going well. :slight_smile:

12. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much, I am in class now, but I cannot keep focused. I´m going to his place this afternoon, and he has done nothing but guilt tripping me. I feel horrible and have been unable to meet a deadline yesterday afternoon. Luckily, the lecturer is a nice lady who gave me some extra time.

I am starting to think that maybe postponing the breakupis a good option. I have to see him professionaly until August. It´s complicated. It was an impulsive decision from my side. I slept 4 hours last night. I feel so, well, depressed. I mean, we were good friends and we spoke every day. I also realized that since we share a lot of good friends, that will be hard too because of his attitude toward me.

He has sent me messages saying that he messes up meetings and gatherings, because of this, because of me. He messaged me informing me that his mom has kept calling him, asking him if I can come with him to the anniversary of his aunt and uncle. He is not even an family person so the only reason why he does that is because he knows things like these are my weakness. His mom has always kind of pressured us into moving in together anyways, as if she could sense my intentions (which I have had from the beginning).

Okay, I am rambling, again I am using this thread to vent. Thank you very much for checking up on me, you are very kind! :slight_smile:

13. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Think of it like a baby throwing a tantrum.

The tantrum exists because the baby is after something it wants. If you give into this, it gets what it wants. Then when it wants something else, it throws another tantrum in the hope of getting it. If you give in, the child will learn that by throwing a tanrum it will always get what it wants. Now if you suddenly one time stop giving in to the tantrum, the baby will be confused and will cry even louder. Until the point where it realizes that "Hm, actually this is not getting me what I want, perhaps I should stop."

But if saying no is not enough it may take something more. At the moment he is in full belief that you two have the potential of getting back together. And it's true. He guilts you, you feel bad, you get together and he gets what he wants. However, if he ever saw you kissing another female, that may completely shock him into giving up. Again, cruel but kind.

Just some food for thought. But again, you don't need to keep him out of your life completely. If he needs help with something don't be afraid to help him (or vice versa), on the understanding that you won't get back together.

Hope this helps.

#13 ChillPenguin, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  14. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3rd and final vent.

Okay I skipped my classes for the rest of the day, I was afraid I would burst out in tears in front of everyone. I am going to go to my boyfriend in 30 minutes. I don´t know how it´s going to end. The difficult thing is perhaps that I am telling him that ´I think I am gay and that is why I want space to find that out but I am pretty sure´. I am somewhat/quite sure about me liking girls when everything is fine but I start doubting everything when it comes down to critical situations like this. I feel so much pain in my chest. Am I making a mistake? Am I bi all along? What will happen if I fall in love with another man? What will happen if I find out that he is the one after all? But still, I AM feeling pain and STILL I am doubting whether we should be together. That says a lot, doesn´t it? Maybe this is part about no one taking me seriously when I told them I was gay, not even him, since I have told him, and he still continues. Maybe that´s why I am insecure.

There are also other parts that I dislike about him. I have no idea how to word things. I am feeling so much anxiety, my knees are shaking and my teeth are chattering. I don´t understand how in all the coming out stories I´ve read, the part where they break up with their opposite sex spouse is described in just one sentence while it is taking me all my strength not to completely loose it and cower back to him. Perhaps when this is over I won´t find this important anymore.

I have generalized and social anxiety and with him I will loose all my security and I won´t know if it will be worth it. Maybe that´s it. I also notice that I am sad because of all the things that could and will happen during and after the breakup, but not the part of us staying together.

I just want him to break up with me. He makes this all about me and pretends that I am a saint to him while I have denied him sex for the past months and when we did have sex I felt so uncomfortable I cried. I want this over. I just want to disappear. I don´t know. I feel so trapped and insecure at the same time. I am so not ready to be in a committed relationship.

I think this is the first time that I actually come out as really 100% gay and not as bisexual, since I am mainly rejecting him because he is not the right gender. Everyone knows I like girls, but when I break up with him the reason is my homosexuality and I cannot hide behind him NOR a vague lgbtqa+ umbrella term anymore. Maybe that´s it, it´s scary, but at the same time I hope it is the reason and I am not making a mistake and should work on my attitude in straight relationships in general. I HAVE glorified homosexual relationships in a way that I have never done that with straight relationships.

Okay I will just drink some tea and eat something and then I´ll go to him. I hope I am able to collect my thoughts.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2016 at 05:34 AM ----------

I read this after my 3rd rant. I helped me calm down. I needed that. Thanks again.

15. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,
    I hope meeting him went well!

You were very clear in your last post about not wanting to be with him. I guess I understand that you like him as a friend, you don't want to hurt him, and your situation is difficult, but you said you don't want to be with him so you shouldn't force yourself to stay with him or postpone the breakup.

In the end, he should try to understand your point of view and once he understands he should probably realise that staying together is just going to make you unhappy. He probably doesn't want you to be unhappy, so he should let you go.

16. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. I just got home. I feel guilty. We are still together. I did improve my ways, I have told him everything, even showed him my post history on this site and showed him part of ingrids coming out video. I could notice that my brutal honesty has really hit him hard. I think it will all spiral down from now on since now it´s not just me who feels out of place. Especially since I told him I feel really uncomfortable with him touching me in general, which he needs from me.

Since I don´t know why I am struggling so much with doing this and coming out in general, I think I´m going to start looking for professional help. I know that I will come out eventually, I have struggled for over 5 years with my sexuality now and it is not going away (I can say that I´ve tried it now, and it doesn´t work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

I want to thank you so much for supporting me these days, I felt terrible and had no one to talk to about this (*hug*)

17. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're struggling so much, getting professional help might be a good idea.

All the best and good luck! It will get better! (*hug*)