1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help telling family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkprincess, Apr 25, 2016.

1. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I recently came out to a few of my closest friends that I'm transgender, so far they have all accepted me for who I am. But now I want to tell my family, in particular my parents that I'm transgender but I don't know how to do it. I have read about letters and emails but I know that the best method will be in person. Despite this I worry about it for a number of reasons;

1. I have only ever come out over the Internet so far and do not know how I will cope to just tell them.
    2. I haven't got a stable income and if kicked out (which I doubt) I have nowhere to go.
    3. I feel quilty that I just want them to accept me despite how they might feel about it.
    4. I just don't know I can muster up the courage to tell them.

If you can assist with answering any of those points that would be a great help, I also would like to hear how others came out to their families that they were transgender.

2. ChillPenguin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your first priority is to find out their opinions on transgender people. Via soaps, news, making up stories about friends etc. But don't be obvious.

This will either make it easier or harder to come out depending on their views.

And if it feels harder you probably dodged a bullet that would've otherwise hit you if you told them without this knowledge. Earning an income first is always the safest thing to do before coming out. It's sometimes the fear of rejection combined with the fear of homelessness that makes you so scared. Remove the latter fear and suddenly it should become much easier.

Hope this helps.