1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should I tell my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mariana, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! I have to admit that I haven't really looked at this part of the forum much so far. My plan has always been to only come out to my family if I had a girlfriend because we don't really talk about sexuality and crushes in our family.

Currently, there is a woman I like a lot and she likes me, too (yay!). It looks like we might start a relationship, which is something I'm really excited about. Now I'm wondering when and how I should tell my family that I'm bi.

I always just assumed that it was a good idea to wait until I'm in a relationship with a woman, so that my coming out to my family would be "relevant". I guess I thought it's just none of their business or that it doesn't really matter as long as I'm single. Now I'm thinking that maybe it's a bit much to go "hey, I'm bi, and also, I have a girlfriend". It would be two things they would have to deal with at once.

Does anyone have any advice/similar experiences?

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I came out to my mom and sister before I had a relationship, but I have waited until I met m current boyfriend to start telling the rest of my family, including my dad. I'm sure that in some was it will be a lot to take in, but it also means that you will have extra support from your girlfriend when telling them. If you think it is a lot to take in you could always just come out and see what their reaction is and then either tell them right away about your girlfriend or a little later once the bi thing sinks in. Personally, I'll probably do it all at once because I want him therefor support.

3. Laura27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, you were so helpful and kind on my thread that I want to give something back :slight_smile:

Are you out to your friends? To me, this was the most important. I needed them to know, in order for me to tell them about my life and for them to relate to me.

I came out to my family members after that, one by one (mom, dad, sis, grandma and I´m sure along the lines my brother found out). I found it incredibly awkward to do (we hardly talk about feelings as well), but I am glad I did because now they know. Relevant or not, it is so relieving that you can stop trying to watch your words.

For example, while watching TV, I comment out of habit that I think so and so looks beautiful and am quite outspoken about gay and trans rights. Before I came out, my parents were confused and awkward that I cared so much. Now my father laughs with me, commenting on women we see in TV shows and my mom has asked me for advice on how to deal with her closeted gay trainee. They were surprisingly supportive. Awkward and sometimes clueless, but supportive nonetheless.

So I felt relieved once I had come out of the closet, even if I did not have a ´relevant´ relationship. So that´s my personal experience, and I´ve heard from quite a few friends that they have done this the same way.

Good luck in making up your mind!

4. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you both for your replies, they've given me some things to think about!

I still haven't decided how I'm going to do it, but I think it has to be soon. I think I might tell my sister first because I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm fairly sure that my parents won't do anything harsh, like stop talking to me. I have always voiced my opinions about LGBT rights, even before I knew I was bi, and my mum has asked me if I'm a lesbian in the past. That was before I started questioning, though, so I couldn't use it to tell her I'm bi.

To be honest, I wouldn't want my (hopefully soon-to-be) girlfriend in the room when I tell my parents, I don't think I could deal with that for some reason.

I am out to her (obviously) and two close friends. There are still a lot of people who don't know and I want to change that. The prospect of coming out to friends isn't that scary to me anymore because it went so well with the friends I already told, but I guess coming out to family members is different in a way. I'm just incredibly nervous about it, even though I'm not expecting a strong negative reaction. I just can't imagine sitting them down and just telling them, out of the blue.

5. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I too wanted to wait till I was in a relationship to come out to may family. I also wanted it to be a strong, committed relationship. I waited because I didn't really want them to try to tell me "oh, you're not" or "how do you know, you've never been with a girl, you've always dated guys" etc. I also wanted to be 100% sure that I was attracted to females in more than just "I can appreciate a beautiful woman" kind of way.
    I came out to my parents a little over a year after I had started dating my current girlfriend. To me, I think it was easier for me to explain to them how she made me feel and how I've become a better person since she and I have been together.

How did I come out? Well, I live about 5 hours away from my parents so sitting down to talk wasn't an option. I'm also better at expressing my feelings in writing and wanted them to have time to think before they responded irrationally, so I actually texted my mom. I explained why I decided to text her and not call her and told her that when she was ready to talk about it then we could. It took a few days and we finally kinda talked about it. She said some hurtful things but you really have to put yourself in their shoes as well. They don't really understand it because its something that they haven't experienced.
    I had to explain to my mom that I was telling her because I wanted to be able to be myself and hope that it would make us closer because I was more comfortable with myself and didn't feel like I was hiding a big part of me any more. She and I have never really been close. We have a very strict parent:child relationship and there's not much of a friendship type relationship. It's still a work in progress but a small step in the right direction is always good.

I too chose not to really involve my girlfriend because I didn't want her to feel like it was her fault if something between me and my parents went poorly. I'm very conscious about considering her feelings in everything that I do because I am very protective of her and her feelings.

6. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply, taken!

I think the point you're making about being in a commited relationship makes a lot of sense. I'm not in a relationship yet, but I'm very hopeful that that's what this thing with this person I like is going to be at some point. I'm the type of person who over-analyses and at the moment I'm terrified of somehow messing up with her. At the same time I feel like I'm kind of lying to my family and that keeps me from having longer conversations with my parents because I'm always secretly scared that they might start talking about dating or guys or anything to do with romantic relationships.

I think the best way for me is to wait and see how things develop with this girl. If, in a few weeks or months I feel like we're in a proper relationship then that might be the time to tell my family about it. If it doesn't work out with her I think I still want to come out to get rid of this feeling that there's always something in the way of me being able to have honest conversations with anyone in my family.

7. BIdingMyTime

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi. So you're post really jumped out at me because I found myself in a very similar situation but I wanted to wait to reply until I had something constructive to say. I'm not sure I do now but here I am anyway. Though I'm not in a relationship right now and I haven't told my friends that I'm Bi, I did just tell my sister. We're very close and, like you I was confident she'd take it well. Still I was nervous. Though I personally don't see my sexuality as a huge deal and therefore question the whole Coming Out routine (for me personally, not looking down on anyone who rightly celebrates), I'm a generally socially anxious person anyway so being the center of attention for something so personal is weird. But I just told my sister tonight. As expected, she took it really well. She had a couple of questions, mostly about my wellbeing and questioning if I felt like I was hiding before (which I hadn't). However, my piece of possibly somewhat constructive testimonial is that I never got that wave of relief. I don't know if that's even really a thing but I was sort of expecting it, especially since she was the first person I told that I was "stepping out of the straight box". Maybe the wave would happen if I decided to come out to everyone. Who knows. Moral of the story is, my personal experience telling my sister went super great. I still don't have plans to tell the rest of my parents unless some sort of serious relationship comes along. And, surprise surprise, I don't feel much different. Still me :slight_smile: And you'll still be you :slight_smile:

(Not sure that was helpful)

8. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Come out before the relationship. Some parents may blame the partner for their kid's queerness.

9. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, BIdingMyTime and SkyGirl!

I keep changing my mind. Sometimes I want to wait, somtimes I want to tell them soon. I think if I suddenly feel like it and the situation allows for it, I might just come out to my mum first. I don't know.

I'm pretty sure that I'll feel relieved when I've done it. Coming out to friends and them being really understanding and supportive felt/still feels amazing. I guess I just want everyone to know so I don't feel like I have this secret anymore.

Thanks for all of your help, there are a few things I'll have to think about. I hope I'll make up my mind soon!

10. Kevin240

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to vote with SkyGirl. I waited to come out until I was in a committed relationship. By doing so, I gave my parents a convenient scapegoat. They rained all of their blame down on my partner. I know they would have been just as negative if I'd told them sooner, but at least my partner would have been spared their venom. I should have told them, let then get used to the idea and tried to work through my relationship with them before I involved someone else.