1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter as FtM

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eko, Apr 30, 2016.

1. eko

eko Guest

I'm sorry this is so long but if anyone can be bothered to read it all then could I have opinions please. A letter is the best way for me to come out because last time I did it face-to-face and I freaked out. Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mum,

I am sorry I didn't tell you this earlier, I just couldn't face seeing the pain that it put you in. I am transgender and I’m sorry I lied to you when I previously mentioned it – telling you it was a phase. Just seeing how sad you were when you were talking to me about it was too much for me and it was easier for me just to tell you what you wanted to hear. I knew at the time that I was a boy and those feelings haven’t changed. I can’t go on living this way because it’s so infuriating being misgendered constantly and being seen as the person I’m not. I need to be seen as my true self – a boy. It’s not that I’m just a tomboy or I prefer being in a shirt and jeans, I am a boy on the inside and I have felt this way for ages but have only recently came to terms with it. When I was younger I may have seemed happy as being a girl but my personality was always similar to that of a boy's. I always played with boys and stereotypically boy’s toys and whenever I could be anything to do with a boy I would always take the opportunity. These things that at the time may have seemed like nothing now make sense to me. It’s only now at this age that I understand and can piece together what this meant. I always have felt like a boy on the inside but didn’t want to feel different from everyone else so hid it until the point of now when it is ripping me up inside. There are days when I experience very strong dysphoria which is when I feel extreme discomfort in my body, and when this happens I struggle to see the positives in life. I hate the fact that I feel this way and the only way I can try and cope better with this is by telling you so that something can be done that will make me feel better about myself.

I would like to go by a new name and I have an idea of one and I would like to get your opinion of it. I feel as though it suits me well but I’m not sure what you will think of it. The name I like is Isaac. I’m not sure what you’ll think of it but I think it is really nice. I would like your opinion on names as even though I personally like Isaac, it is not set in stone.

I understand this will take time for you to adjust to but I would really appreciate it if you could try to use a new name and he/him pronouns. I understand this will take you a long time to come to terms with because it took me a while to understand myself but I am willing for the amount of time you take to be long. I hope you can try and do this for me because it would make me so happy, but at the end of the day, whether you accept this part of me or not, I cannot change how I feel. I just wanted you to be aware of how I feel so that I no longer have to hide it. I love you so much and that will never change.

Love your son,
    Isaac x

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think your letter is very good! It's clear and concise - unlike mine which tend to waffle on - and you get your point across very well. Good luck with coming out, Isaac!

3. I Am Trans

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Very nice letter. A lot better then any I would have written. I hope it goes well. I know that I'm in too much of an unsafe area to come out, but I wish I could like you. You go bro! I honestly like the letter.:eusa_clap