1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Broodyvamp, May 2, 2016.

1. Broodyvamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok so for this one you guys need some context for this. So I am into women and I label myself as just gay but I fall somewhere in the spectrum there. I was recently in a relationship with a man and we broke up about a month ago. I am already out to a couple of my friends. So I really want to tell a friend that I am roommates with but he is also a really good friend of my ex boyfriend and I never told him that I was gay but that is the major reason why I broke up with him. Anyways I really want to tell my roommate but I am worried that he may say something to my ex about my sexuality but I am really worried that of my ex found out about that it would make him feel really bad about himself.

Do you guys think that I should tell my roommate? He is a good guy and I know that he would likely not tell anyone else but he is also really good friends with my ex. I really want to be more open about my sexuality and I don't want to feel like I am hiding who I am all the time. What do you guys think? Should I tell my roommate or should I wait for some more time before I tell him.

2. Umme

Maybe you could explain to your roommate that you don't want your ex to know? idk

3. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just my opinion and I could be wrong but, at some point you've got to stop caring about what other people think or how you being happy affects them because when it all comes down to it you are the one hiding yourself which can hurt you. Yes it may hurt your ex or it might put your break up into more perspective with him. You got to live your life.

4. Umme

I agree

5. Broodyvamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for the advice! I think I will likely be taking it as well I am really tired of hiding who I am all the time and it definitely does take its toll on me. I will most likely tell my roommate sometime in the summer. I am still getting over this break up myself so I think some time would be good but I will come out eventually.