1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to siblings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThatOneAlien, May 3, 2016.

1. ThatOneAlien

I came out to my parents as trans recently via letter. I'm now trying to figure out what to say to my brother and sister. I know they'll be cool with it, I'm just not sure what to say. I don't talk to them much, especially about serious or emotional matters and the like, so it's a bit awkward. My parents' letter was pretty detailed about my past and stuff; I don't think I need to say as much to my siblings but I feel like I should include a bit more than "here's my new name and pronouns the end." Any suggestions?

#1 ThatOneAlien, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With siblings, you may want to write another letter tailored to them. Or, depending in their age, you could explain it. For kids, it would be much easier to verbally explain and especially since you have the support of your parents, kids would likely be very accepting.

But if your siblings are older, like mine are, I think a letter would be appropriate. Then you have the chance to give just the right amount of detail and you won't be bogged down by nerves. Other options aside from letters could include:
    > a family "announcement" with everyone present,
    > use humour to have a funny or flashy coming out (depending on you or yoir family's disposition, this method could relieve the stress behind a "serious" talk),
    > one-on-one conversations,
    > texting,
    > linking a trans* video to them (see below).

The YouTuber uppercaseCHASE1 has a great video for family/friends of trans people explaining things in general terms, in fact it was made to be given after or alongside coming out. I was really glad to have found it and that's what I did when I came out to an older brother.

Hope some of these ideas inspire you.

#2 Kodo, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016