1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple's Mind

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Today I read that gay men' minds were exactly like women because of the minds structure. If that is accurate is that like two females dating mentally? The mind for lesbian doesn't resemble men though.

2. ChokiE

I guess all gay men are subconsciously lesbians.

3. SirBoobalot

Where did you read that?

4. riddlerno1

i can honestly say ive never looked at it that way!

5. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did you find that in National Enquirer cause I'm afraid I wouldn't eat that, it's bulls**t. And that is not in anyway a homophobic statement meant to hurt anyone, I just don't, speaking from experience, buy that....

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read it by la times, but I can't link it because I'm in my iPod

Its called "Brains of gay men show similarities to those of heterosexual women"

I don't believe it much, but it is from a good source

#6 Jack2009, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well that one my friend is false. Every person is got a feminine side. It can be hidden. A gay man is no different than a straight man. Other than a straight man likes the opposite sex.

8. kramer362

It's not the brain itself I don't think, it's the size of the hypothalamus in the brain; the hypothalamus is linked to sex. Gay men have one that's size is more in line with a heterosexual female than a heterosexual male. Gay women have one that is more similar in size to a heterosexual male than with straight women.

At least I think that's how it goes..

One such article on the matter:
    http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/03/031112.differential-brain-activation.shtml

#8 kramer362, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    sounds like an article written by a homophobe from the '60's but I guess in rethinking this, what actual difference would it make. It doesn't change who I have always been, it doesn't matter. If someone wants to think I've got a feminine brain, f**k them, I'll cook them a knockout dinner, and that my friend, is that......Walking Proud

10. kramer362

I figure it's a double-edged sword depending how someone looks at it. It could be 'proof' we're born this way, or it could spark studies on how to make our brains 'normal' and prevent homosexuality prenatally.

11. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That stuff about gay people's brains being like the opposite sex is very old. Who says all women think the same? Who says all men think the same? Why can't people just accept that each individual is unique? The studies that "proove" this stuff are generally pretty shaky when you see them, they're just trying to justify prejudices IMHO.

12. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats a really good point kramer. All the research into this field of neuroscience has been peer reviewed in accredited journals...so it should be legitimate (although I didnt read the actual news article, so not sure if they took a bias slant on the research). Being a science geek at heart...I am so interested in the findings on hypothalamus differences. I think that its quite cool.

If I was given an ethical license, it would be brilliant to scan babies (get family information and views on homosexuality and measure hormone levels during pregnancy), and prospectively follow their progress into adulthood to see what outcomes would occur. However that is the medicine of days gone by and rightfully (or wrongfully depending how you look at it) that would never be ethically approved.

That said I'm sure that most people dont care why or how they came to be. We all know we're gay so why does it matter. I guess I'm the sort of person that always seeks answers to unsolvable riddles!

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As any statistics teacher can tell you: correllation does not imply causation, but that is stated explicitely in the article as well.

It doesn't really amaze that there are brain differences between gays and straights. I'm not really a believer in a mind disembodied from the brain. Though one would really need to take into account that they're looking at pretty specific regions here. There might be a dozen other criteria in which gay brains are more like the brains of their own sex.

I doubt that this will prompt the discovery of a "gay vaccine". Modern medicine isn't advanced enough that they can do this kind of stuff. If it will ever reach that level of finesse is anybody's guess.

14. kramer362

You're exactly like me then. In the past I'd exhausted my mind looking for 'proof' people can be born anything but heterosexual. So to me it's a good thing when it can be proved to shut up the idiots who say it's a choice. Of course it won't shut them up for long, since once you slap them with some tangible proof, they'll look for another way to defend their bigotted thinking, but I figure at least it can cause some people to question their beliefs.

And when I'm in an optimistic mindset, I'd like to believe that with the rapidly expanding acceptance and knowledge in the world, if we ever get to a point where people actually COULD 'cure' their child of homosexuality before it's ever born, they wouldn't feel its necessary or want to.

15. Emberstone

gays are becoming more widely accepted.

I dont find the idea that there is a scientific element that proves homosexuality is not a choice to be homophobic. outside of the bible thumbers who hate jesus, because they ignore him saying leviticus *the only part of the bible that scholers agree comes close to the homosexual issue* is not to be abided by, by chirstians. the bible doesnt say homosexuality is wrong, if you take the teaching of christ into effect. all the other quoted sections dont even have anything to do with sex, let along homosexuality. people just force meaning where there is none.

proving that there is a proper explanation for gender orientation, and that it is natural is a step forward.

Christains are starting to become more accepting of homosexuals. of course, there will always be people who fight against us, but then again, there are still chirstians who promote the eradications of the jews *ann coulter among them, when she said a perfect world would be all white, all chirstian, and no jews.*

I know I didnt choose to be gay. I only chose to stop lieing to my family *or some of them* about my sexuality.

16. No One

Thats not actualy true you should read thread i made with a article about this.

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Hmm....That's true in a sense but not very accurate I suppose. I think that way too, how you are about gay men, but the way you state it is a bit too ambiguous. I can't concur here. :frowning2: Lol I have never thought of my self and my partner as two females dating and I kinda find that offensive. >_<) I don't like to be looked at as a female nor compared to one...I'm a man.

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hardly. To be honest, I'm repelled by that stereotype and people who fit it. I like men, not males who might as well be straight women.

19. pirateninja

I don't think it necessarily says "Well, all gay men are really women". There was a segment like this in John Barrowman's "Making of Me" show that was on here in the UK a while ago. And this part of the brain is formed before birth, and for all we know, doesn't influence how we act, but our sexual preferences. It's a part of the brain that although there are similarities between straight women and gay men, do not have a certain "forward or backward". You say that you don't want to be the same as a straight woman; but for all you know, straight women could just as well be gay men.

There have been plenty of tests done on this subject, and it has been found that overall, gay men and straight women have similar wiring in that part of the brain, as do lesbians and straight men.